Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
60gal but now in a 10gal (quarantine tank)
Does it have a filter?
Yes marineland magniflow 360 on the 60gal, the 10gal quarantine tank uses a 10gal hob filter
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What temperature is your tank?
76-80 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates?
Yes but now in the quarantine tank he’s all by self
What kind?
5 female bettas 6neon tetras 2 German blue rams 2apple snails 2 Cory cats

Food:frozen San Francisco Bay brand I switch daily between: emerald entree, beef heart, plankton, brine shrimp, marine cuisine, blood worms and at least twice a month I have fresh live brine shrimp
What food brand do you use?
San Francisco Bay brand (frozen)(I thaw the frozen cubes in tank water before feeding)
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Not really maybe once a month I’ll mix in some
Freeze-dried?
Frozen (thawed in tank water then ran threw a brine shrimp net before feeding)
How often do you feed your Betta?
Once daily
How much?
Enough to eat in 5 minutes

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Yes 20% every Sunday
What percentage of water did you change?
20% every Sunday
What is the source of your water?
Tap water that gets dechlorinated with seachem prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
vacuum on the first of the month every month along with cleaning all tank
What additives do you use?
Every 2 weeks seachem fresh trace
Every water change and cleaning tank gets API salt, api stress zyme, api quick start, api stress coat and seachem prime measured all according to the amount of water going back into the tank
What brand of conditioner?
seachem prime/ api stress coat I alternate with each 5 gallons going back in the tank

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters?
PH 7.0
NH3/NH4 0ppm
NO2 0ppm
NO3 5.0ppm
GH 6
KH 6
All my test are always done the night before the 1st of the month cleanings

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:5.0ppm
pH:7.0
Hardness (GH):6
Alkalinity (KH):6

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
2 days after 1st of the month tank cleaning (vacuuming and 30% water change)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?big white cauliflower, rock looking growth on outside of the gill
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
hasnt really changed at all Slighty less active now after placing in quarintine
Is your Betta still eating?
yes
Have you started treating your Betta?
Yes
If so, how?
I first treated for 1week with API MELAFIX , then did a tank cleaning with a 50% water change and treated with API PIMAFIX for 1 week did another tank cleaning and now no treatment
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
No
How long have you owned your Betta?
year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
no he was a bit skinny but after a week of proper diet he fatten right up

I have multiple fish tanks and have been in the hobby for some time now so all my tanks are cycled and are cycled before adding fish along with a 2 week quarantine treating with API melafix and pimafix of all new fish before adding to the new tank. All my tanks use silk plants, plastic aquarium decor, and some natural decor (slate stone, lava rock and pretreated drift wood) medium/standard size gravel( quarantine tank uses fine gravel) , uv sterilizers( except quarantine tank), my filters run a custom 3 sponge setup I make (corse, medium, fine), then go through the bio media (a blend of lava rock, seachem matrix, fluval biomax, bio balls(very little), biohome ultimate media, then go through the chemical media which is seachem purigen and phosquard ( except quarantine tank) and finally pass through the water polishing pad. All filters get cleaned on the 1st of the month tank cleanings and are cleaned in clean aquarium water only. My tank readings are always stable and the same.

Ive never had a sick fish or any illness in any of my tanks so with this betta now showing this symptom I’m completely clueless and have searched and searched for an answer and I’m coming up with nothing so I need help to what’s going on so I can treat this!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The quarantine tank uses a HOB filter made for use with a 10gal tank that uses a custom setup of 2 sponges corse and medium and a polishing pad and uses a mixture of bio media. I do not use any chemical media in that tank

·
Super Moderator
2,426 Posts
It looks like he had a cyst that burst or is suffering from Lymphocystis.
Unfortunately, Lymphocystis is viral and there's nothing to be done about curing him, and since it is an open wound, you need to be careful about secondary bacterial infection. Leave him in the hospital tanks and keep his water pristine so he doesn't get an infection.
You can use Aquarium salt for the next 5 days just to keep the wound sterile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts