Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a new betta owner (less than two weeks). I have a sweet little orange delta tail that I got at PetCo. I can't figure out what is up with his eating. He spits up all his food. I looked online, and people said that it meant his pellets were too big (he eats Hikari BioGold). I've been crushing them, and even then half the time he spits the crumbs back out. I've tried tiny freeze-dried bloodworms, too, and he can't for the life of him get one of those down, though he clearly wants to. He also seems to have NO IDEA that I'm feeding him and it takes him awhile to figure it all out. He seems healthy--he's in a heated tank with real plants and a filter, and is very active. He swims constantly. I'm worried about him, though; it's so hard to tell what he's actually getting down, and after he eats, I have to turkey baster the whole tank. At the very least he makes keeping a clean tank very, very hard. He's such a messy eater. Any thoughts/suggestions??

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
– Things first make sure that there is no extra food and his tank, a dirty tank is a bad thing. I'm assuming you have him in a reasonably sized tank, at least 1.5 gallons, otherwise you have to clean it pretty often. Now for your problem even though flakes are Messy they are really easy to get down. is mr.betta too small? Betta are able to comfortably eat anything the size of their eyeball. Maybe you can find baby betta food for him

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks for your response! He's in 1.5 gallon tank, and I do my best to keep it clean. I'm hating the rock substrate right now because of his problem. He's decent sized--2" maybe? I can try flakes. Does this mean he might be ill?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have experience with picky fish haha my first fish I had to go through 3 different pellets before I found one he'd eat. Have you tried New Life Spectrum pellets or Omega One pellets? Those are the two I feed my boys. They'll all eat the Omega One pellets with no problems, but 2 of them don't like the NLS pellets. I would try a different pellet before you try flakes and see if that helps things out for you :)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I say flakes because when my fish was little he actually choked on his pellets and I had to cut them in half. and btw if gravel is giving you an issue with cleaning you can buy a tank vacuum or I switched gravel for big (1-1.5")
plastic rocks. ryuuji loves to push them around with his nose and theyre a lot easier to clean.,

·
Registered
859 Posts
The reason behind suggesting another pellet is that it's easier to monitor how much they eat - with flakes its kind of a guessing game. Do whatever you feel is best though :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts