Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a betta fish, Casper, and I just got him about three days ago from Petco. They had a deal going on, 2 crowntails for $3.98. I couldn't help myself. Well the one I kept is acting very strange and I'm really worried. When I first brought him home, he was doing great, I moved him into a large mason jar for about 2 days, until I could get his tank fully set up. I just got his tank yesterday, a 1 gallon triangle tank from walmart. I got him bloodworms for food, some treatment for his tank for chlorine and ammonia. Well, I put him in there with a fantail goldfish and they seemed fine. About an hour after introducing him into the tank he starts to swim erratically. Darting across the tank, putting his face in the corner of the tank and just going crazy in the corner. He will float to the top of the water and just stay there, letting his fins just fall under and beside him, looking extremely depressed. He will put his face in the rocks basically floating vertically in the rocks the lay over on top of the rock and just lay there, looking dead. He is breathing very fast, almost like he has anxiety. I think he has been eating, but I can not be 100% sure. I have now taken the goldfish out of the tank to see if he is just stressed out from him, but it has been several hours since then and he is still acting the way you see in the video. I am not sure what is wrong with him, he was perfectly fine in the cup from petco and in the mason jar I had him in for those two days. I am really worried about my poor beautiful Casper. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with him and what I may be able to do. Please respond promptly as I am afraid he may not make it much longer. Thanks. Abby:cry:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Well first of I would unplug the filter. You dont need it with the little tanks, that and the water on the top is being disturbed to much for a betta, they like calm water. I'd lower the water level to half full so he doesn't have to struggle so far to get air, and I know it may be weird but it might be the rocks. I know my boys all start flaring at those because they can see themselves, I suggest some gravel over the top. Next I would try treating with aquarium salt, and some stress coat. Both have dosages for healing fins on the back of the container. He may be trying to itch himself on the rocks, which would be a sign of parasites, which the aq salt and stress coat will help clear up. Also make sure you pre-treat your water in a gallon jug before adding it to the tank. Also with him being sick I would recommend at least a 50% water change every day.

Now the goldies are a completely different story. They'll need a 55 gal, eventually. They like to out grow their tanks so thats a whole nother can of beans I wont go into :p

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Oh and Bettas should be alone if in a tank under 5 gallons, unless its one or two little cherry shrimps or possibly a really small snail. I currently have the same tank wit just one girl and a snail. I do a 100 percent water change once a week. I also have two live plants in the tank to cut down on ammonia levels.

·
Registered
320 Posts
He's looking very distressed indeed. Good that you took the goldie out. Ammonia may have built up fast in that tank. It needs a 100% water change at least once a week for only one betta. What's your tank's temperature? Please change the water to very simular to like temp for now. He definitely needs it. Goldies require at least 20 per fish because their bio-loads are epic. Betta fish and goldies cannot be kept together. I'm sorry.

And what Ivan said.. The rocks.. Too reflective. Try getting a dark substrate. It's much less stress inducing and will make his colors stand out more. + A billion to Ivan again. The filter may be too much and the airstone isn't necessary.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well first of I would unplug the filter. You dont need it with the little tanks, that and the water on the top is being disturbed to much for a betta, they like calm water. I'd lower the water level to half full so he doesn't have to struggle so far to get air, and I know it may be weird but it might be the rocks. I know my boys all start flaring at those because they can see themselves, I suggest some gravel over the top. Next I would try treating with aquarium salt, and some stress coat. Both have dosages for healing fins on the back of the container. He may be trying to itch himself on the rocks, which would be a sign of parasites, which the aq salt and stress coat will help clear up. Also make sure you pre-treat your water in a gallon jug before adding it to the tank. Also with him being sick I would recommend at least a 50% water change every day.

Now the goldies are a completely different story. They'll need a 55 gal, eventually. They like to out grow their tanks so thats a whole nother can of beans I wont go into :p

Thanks for the information, I will turn off the air pump and pull it out right now, I am going to go to walmart tomorrow and get the salt and stress coat. I will find something else to do with Sunny, the goldfish, whether another tank or giving him to someone, probably my niece. I will also remove the water now too to make it easier for him. I'll do something about the rock too, I was thinking about getting the black gravels. Will let you know how he is doing tomorrow. Thanks again!

·
Registered
320 Posts
We hope he perks up soon :)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Not a problem. You can leave the bottom part of the filter and even the tube if you want, just pull the air hose. It's easier and at the moment less stress. I did the same thing for my little girl. She was VERY stressed when I got her. The half water helped her out a lot. Just be sure you change the water out with that strong of chemicals in it. Keep in mind the doses will be larger than what you should put in there normally so its mearly for treatment purposes. If you have any more questions just post them on here I'll try to help and I'm sure other people will pop their suggestions in too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's looking very distressed indeed. Good that you took the goldie out. Ammonia may have built up fast in that tank. It needs a 100% water change at least once a week for only one betta. What's your tank's temperature? Please change the water to very simular to like temp for now. He definitely needs it. Goldies require at least 20 per fish because their bio-loads are epic. Betta fish and goldies cannot be kept together. I'm sorry.

And what Ivan said.. The rocks.. Too reflective. Try getting a dark substrate. It's much less stress inducing and will make his colors stand out more. + A billion to Ivan again. The filter may be too much and the airstone isn't necessary.
The temp is 74. I think it is a tad low, not sure, but I dont know if a heater will fit in there. My mom has some bettas (crowntail and deltatail) in a betta tank with a divider, small one. And she doesn't have a heater though, and her fish are doing fantastic, so I thought Casper would be ok. What do you think about the temp in his tank?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The temp isn't ideal but it'll work. Generally there isn't a heater that fits but there is a "betta bowl heater" at petco and petsmart. Last time I checked they were like 10 bucks...it's supposed to raise the temp of the bowl 5-10 degrees above ambient room temp. but I don't know if I trust it. I have one but haven't tested that. The caution with that would be that it does heat 10 degrees and then your tank is a bit high. But like I said, the temp isn't ideal but it'll work.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Some people will also say that you can't keep them in a gallon bowl but as long as you keep up on the water changes you'll be ok. It's all about the water lol I'm also nursing two boys back to health from fungal infections.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The temp is 74. I think it is a tad low, not sure, but I dont know if a heater will fit in there. My mom has some bettas (crowntail and deltatail) in a betta tank with a divider, small one. And she doesn't have a heater though, and her fish are doing fantastic, so I thought Casper would be ok. What do you think about the temp in his tank?
The temp is a bit low. By seeing the video, it's slowed him down a bit. I'd have it at least 76-82 at the most. I highly recommend an undergravel filter like hydor's 7 watt heater. http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-...LPFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333158921&sr=8-1 it should bring your tank up to at least 78, which will get him going. They should have a rounder looking heater like this one http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Betta...FZ4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333159222&sr=8-1 if you can't find this particular one. Black gravel sounds prefect to use. Less scary or distracting :)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The temp is a bit low. By seeing the video, it's slowed him down a bit. I'd have it at least 76-82 at the most. I highly recommend an undergravel filter like hydor's 7 watt heater. http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-...LPFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333158921&sr=8-1 it should bring your tank up to at least 78, which will get him going. They should have a rounder looking heater like this one http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Betta...FZ4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333159222&sr=8-1 if you can't find this particular one. Black gravel sounds prefect to use. Less scary or distracting :)
Yeah those are what I was talking about. I have one I'm just to chicken to experiment with it :p My house is generally pretty warm as is (normally around 76-78)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Oh, well if your house it warm, maybe get a 5 gallon tank for him (or kritter keeper) and get a 50 watt submersible heater like from fluval or elite. Easier to heat and won't risk being too hot. Thanks for the pointer Ivan. I guess my house is cooler. My 2.5 gallon has a hydor heater and it's 78 degrees

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

Okay, as soon as I got off here, I went to remove some water and unplug the pump. As soon as I looked in the tank I flipped out, I didnt see him in the tank. He somehow managed to bury himself under the rocks. I thought he was dead. He is still alive. I just decided to remove everything and put him back in the large mason jar. I have to work tomorrow so I am just going to take him with me and I will be able to add the salt and stress coat right away in the morning. I know transferring him in this state isn't too wise, but I can take him with me tomorrow and that will save me from wondering all day long if my poor guy made it through 8 hours in his condition. I put three bloodworms with him too, to see if he will eat them or not. Nothing yet. Also, I know what you guys are talking about with the little round heater pad. I think I saw it at Petco like you said, I will do some research on that later and go from there. Thanks guys. Will let you know more tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I would recommend you keep him at home. moving him around will stress him and possibly kill him in his frail state.... just my opinion.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Please keep us posted

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would recommend you keep him at home. moving him around will stress him and possibly kill him in his frail state.... just my opinion.
Okay, I will leave him home if it is best then. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
:) yay! I know it will put you more at ease, being able to see your fish at all times, but if it ends up bring bad for him, its going to make you sad:( thanks for taking my advice!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yeah I thought that might happen. I've had diggers before, thats why I tend to shy away from anything they can "dig" under. You can mix some of those glass rocks in with the gravel though. They do add a nice contrast, just make sure any little hole is covered with gravel.

It is best to keep him at home. But now that you have him in a jar give your tank a good once over. Just use some hot water and gently scrub the sides (dont want to scratch the plastic). There might have been something in there causing distress as well. Give everything a once over with hot water. It wont hurt.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts