Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. I am a bit of a novice at owning my beta Bernard. I've had him already almost two years. I've always known him to be a bit of a hothead, always worked up, curious, active, and always flaring and chasing and trying to attack random things like plants and hammocks...!

Lately I'm really concerned for him as he's become very sluggish, hardly swims, and floats at the top in the same spot. Sometimes when he swims I literally catch him doing front flips, kind of spiraling sideways and then going back to his spot. He's not himself, doesn't go to his safe zone or flare or show any of his mega attitude. Don't know what to do. If you can advise, I'll appreciate it!! Just hope he's ok! :(

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? No
What temperature is your tank? 74-75
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Air stone
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day 3 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Always did it once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 80%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip out
What additives do you use? None

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Not sure, I am a novice. Just cleaned tank and put the ph liquid drops in

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Few weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Find have shriveled, colors not vibrant
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Extremely sluggish, not active
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Beta? Almost 2 years

Attached is his current picture. Thanks for your help

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Do you use conditioner? You need to get some if you don't. I'd also get a gravel vacuum to clean the gravel because that will be a huge source of ammonia.
He has finrot, add some aquarium salt and do lots of water changes and he should be fine.

You put the PH drops into the tank water? Into the water he was swimming in? Or did you actually use the vials in the kit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help! I'm sorry it was actually the water conditioner I put into the water. I will give that a shot. Do you think hes bad? Or will he be ok I hope... And I will try that

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would also suggest obtaining a filter and a heater. That will probably perk him up some, as well as treating his fin rot.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I agree that if you don't have adjustable heater it would help perk him up. Bettas should have a heater regardless but the older a betta gets is the harder it can get for them to fight disease if conditions are not optimal. Two is probably like being 55 to 60 for a betta. The max most live is 3 years with good care. Amazon sells Lee's mini gravel vac that is is good for betta tanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your thoughts! I will be giving him a new home renovation. He's a member of a family, hate to see anything happen to him!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts