Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!!!!! something is wrong!!!!!! yesterday I looked at him and he was fine, then I went to the beach. 5 and a half hours later, I came home to find almost half of his tail "shredded" there is nothing in his tank that he could have hurt it on. I didn't think it was fin rot, does it normally attack that fast???? also, upon a closer look, the scales on the edges of his gills look paler, almost pink. he is in a heated 1.5 gal, but he is pretty small so he has enough room (for now!) I do regular water changes, and the ph is fine. last night I did a 100% water change and proper dose of aq salt. I want to know if hes in any real danger, and if so, what can I do? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm not sure about the gills, but betta's can shred their own tails by biting them.

My Apollo did a round on his, it looked like he took it through a paper shredder. Some say biting can only look like hunks taken out of their tail, but I witnessed him in the act taking it apart like a cheese string.

I don't think anyone knows the real reasons they bite their tail, but some believe it is because they are bored...or maybe stressed. I took it that mine was bored and tried to fix some things -- his tail is healing nicely right now.

Does he have anything to explore in his tank? Like a cave?
Do you rearrange his décor once and awhile?
Is he in a high traffic room where he has some human interaction?
Is he nearby another betta where he can see it all the time, causing him stress?
Can he see his reflection constantly, causing him stress?
You said the tank is heated but what temperature is it at? (stick a meat thermometer in it if you don't have an aquarium one)

Tail biting can be a pain, mine stopped after a day once I rearranged his tank and gave him some taller plants to maneuver through, it sounds like your tank is on the smaller side though, so I'm not sure how much you can change.
I also took someone's advice and rearranged things outside of the tank too to give him different things to look at when I'm not home. (These fish are such babies sometimes, haha)

Have you looked at the oldfishlady water change schedule sticky under the "habitats and accessories" forum?
I would first ensure the water change schedule you have is accurate for the size of tank to make sure his tail will stay healthy. Regrowth will happen on it's own, but you want to make sure he has clean water (following the schedule) to make sure the bitten ends don't get infected with fin rot.

If his water is clean it will start to mend (you'll see clear regrowth)
But I would think if the reason is boredom or stress, and then pick one thing you think will help, and then reassess after a couple days.

You said "for now" when mentioning he had enough room, are you thinking of upgrading him in the future?

·
Registered
474 Posts
of course a picture of your fish's tail and a picture of his home will probably give us some more info to determine tail biting for sure :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when I said "for now" I was reffering to the fact that he is growing up/getting bigger. I would like to updrade him. I do not think it is boredom as I interact with him daily by gently moving my finger along the tank so he can chase it.

I try to keep his tank as warm as possible, but I live in a town where you do not have many purchasing choices fishwise. therefore my heater isn't adjustable and usually keeps the water around 75 degrees farenheight. there are no mirrors to stress him out. I am often walking around in my room. he does have a plant and another small decoration to swim around.

thanks a lot for the advise ill try to post a picture, he doesn't stay still for long so its hard to get a decent one. ill look in to the tail biting thing. thanks a million!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as you mentioned kfoster, change things around the tank. I cannot put his tank in a different location to change things up, but as of last night, he got a nice view of my favorite cd case. I angled and propped it up so it wouldn't reflect anything. there are no bright colors on it to scare him. as of this morning I gave him a look at "Christmas all stars" lol

·
Registered
474 Posts
That's great! Good news things are starting to heal up.

I use plastic farm toys and change them out and move them around.

He flares at the fox for some reason. Must not like what the fox says.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.