Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested to know everyone's favourite thing about bettas and/or keeping bettas?

Personally, I love their individuality and personality. Each betta has it's own identifable personality. I love the way they interact so much with their environment and keepers. I love how you have no idea what they will be like until you get them home, and each day you see a little bit more of their personality shines. Out of all the fish I've owned, bettas are by far the most interactive and clearly individual. I honestly never thought I'd get so much enjoyment from owning a single fish!

This is my boy Kiedis. He's curious, can be a scaredy cat with new experiences, but then gets cocky, and he's a terrible shrimp hunter... But overall he's a little sweety and will always come up to the glass, say hello and then swim around in circles begging for food. I heart these little guys!

Organism Eye Tail Plant Fish

So what's your favourite thing about bettas and betta keeping?

·
Registered
604 Posts
the fact that they recognize you amazes me, my boy Magnus is a huge dork and is always showing off and swuiming betewwn my fingers but when a stranger approaches the tank he flees

·
Registered
63 Posts
I love that mine just seems so peppy and happy when I walk in the room or get closer to his tank. He like flutters over to whichever side I'm on.
He really does have a personality.
I see that many people appreciate the fact that Bettas have personalities. :)
I have 2 cats and 2 dogs, so it's not like I'm imagining things bc I desire attention from an animal. Lol!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I love that they wiggle when they see me, and I love that they nibble my finger when they eat, they act like they love me <3 also I have a slight issue with fish so loving/caring for them is therapeutic, and I'm a weirdo who likes to hear the sound of a filter

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I love how my boys flirt with me. They each have their own little personalities and I love that about them. I love watching them flourish when they're at home and out of those awful cups and boy do I love their colors. I love watching them gobble up their pellets and get mad at me when they're not fed on time and I love watching them flare up, their beards are way too cute. I think one of my favorite things about them flaring with beard is they think they look tuff and scary but really they're the cutest things ever.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I like their feisty little personalities the most. You've gotta love any 2 inch fish that thinks he's a huge shark. (Although I do also love my two little peaceful boys. :)) I like how easy they are to care for. I also like their colors - they're like saltwater fish without the work. :-D

·
Registered
495 Posts
I love the personalities! The fact that these fish even have personalities of their own is amazing! (goldfish kinda have one track minds) When you put your face up to my boy Rocket's tank, he will pop right out of where was hiding and show off, swimming back and forth, and sometimes he will just watch you, lol I can imagine him saying "Whats up?" when he does this, he is brave, energetic, and loves attention, he is my baby, and I love him <3 :3

I also really just love their colors, they probably have the prettiest colors out of any fish I have seen.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agree about the goldfish! I always found them only ever showing an interest in anything that involved potential food. I've owned goldfish, tadpoles, black moors, red minnows, frogs and a couple of guppies but none of them were ever as interactive as my betta. I'm definitely hooked on bettas for life!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Agree about the goldfish! I always found them only ever showing an interest in anything that involved potential food. I've owned goldfish, tadpoles, black moors, red minnows, frogs and a couple of guppies but none of them were ever as interactive as my betta. I'm definitely hooked on bettas for life!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I love their personalities too. I've had other types of fish in the past, and the only ones who ever acknowledged me are my Bettas and my dad's Oscar he had when I was younger.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well, I actually now have to defend the goldfish....I had had one for years, and he was very intelligent, tame and curious. But maybe he was just special....
Why do I like my betta?
I am amazed at how interactive they are. Lulu is so tame, inquisitive and playful. She is also much more curious and faster to check out things in the tank- compared to the goldfish I talked about above.
I think the reason is that Betta are carnivores, and always on the lookout for potential prey, but also playful like cats (my fish even chases the red dot!).
Goldfish on the other hand are more like herbivores....rabbits or guinea pigs....

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I actually now have to defend the goldfish....I had had one for years, and he was very intelligent, tame and curious. But maybe he was just special....
Why do I like my betta?
I am amazed at how interactive they are. Lulu is so tame, inquisitive and playful. She is also much more curious and faster to check out things in the tank- compared to the goldfish I talked about above.
I think the reason is that Betta are carnivores, and always on the lookout for potential prey, but also playful like cats (my fish even chases the red dot!).
Goldfish on the other hand are more like herbivores....rabbits or guinea pigs....
I think maybe solitary goldfish act differently than goldfish in groups. I've always kept a group of 3 or more goldfish so there was a slight schooling mentality. I imagine a single goldfish would be more curious about movement around the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
They thing I love with bettas is to things. 1, there color can be stunning. I have 8 females now with 12 cardinals and dang that tank is pretty bright (all live plants). 2, the individual personalities. You see it a lot better when you have a group. Some are more into humans, some plants, some food, some the tv, some the angel, everyone likes to do something different. It is pretty cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
901 Posts
I love that when I walk into the room, my betta stops patrolling her tank and swims to the front to greet me. She does a little double take, zooms to the front and starts wiggling and waving at me, so cute! She does it to my boyfriend too, he was apprehensive about us getting a betta but he really gets a kick out of her now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My new betta is still scared of me, if i press my finger to the glass he will back up a bit and then swim away. However, when I did his water change yesterday he will swim right up to my hand! So strange!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love reading everyone's posts. I am a new (less than one month) Betta keeper. I went into an aquarium store to buy a Marimo ball and came home with "Buddy". I love how he : investigates everything, rearranges the plants, nips my finger, blows bubbles and sleeps on top of one of the plants. He looks like a beautiful cobalt blue Afghan Hound with his flowing "mane".

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I love how my boys sleep on their plants...speaking of which I feel horrible because I went to get a snack in the kitchen, checked on my boys and saw Oliver near the surface sort of on his side not moving and me thinking oh crap he died gently lifted the lid...nope. he was sleeping on his plant. He swam around and flared up at me real big. Poor guy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.