Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my betta fish name Rambo in the profile picture. I was wondering what breed Rambo is? The fish shop owner where I brought my betta from says he was from a halfmoon plakat line but as he is growing he don't appears to be a halfmoon plakat. When I bought him Im guessing he was still a fry cause I had to crush his betta pellets to even feed him. Please help!!

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Downloading pictures is easy here.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on 'Advanced.'
Click on 'Manage Attachments'
and then 'browse' to your picture.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Normally you will want to get a picture of the betta flaring, to show the tail fin to see what type of tail they are.

I believe you may have a halfmoon or a delta.. can't tell without seeing him flare.
As for the plakat- if he is then he is of lesser genes, as they tend to have rounder, shorter dorsal fins, and anal fins are more pointed (excluding CTPK, where the overall shape is a bit rounded). A lot of times their fins won't start to really grow until they are in a decent size tank alone- their fins tend to continue growing until around 7 months of age.

But that is my guess- either a halfmoon or a delta unless you can get one of him from the side and him flaring at a mirror to make a positive identification.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you but the problem is that he don't seem to be interested in flaring at the mirrior. Is there any way to have him flare at the mirrior. The only time I saw him flare was at the ghost shrimp. Currently he lives in a 5 gallon tank with one ghost shrimp.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
lol that is common with some new bettas, they don't always flare for a while..
You could try and make the tank one big mirror- keep the tank light on, and turn off the lights in the room. Seeing a betta all over may help him flare. If not, then try to get a side view and we can give you our best opinions and just have to wait until he starts to flare. Some of my boys it took a couple weeks to get them to start flaring- and that is with other males/female next to them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
From that pic he looks like a veiltail to me. I can't see the edges of his fins well enough to tell if he's a crowntail.

I like his colouring, nice blue and red shading in the fins. :)

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Well, he's certainly no plakat. He may well be a half-moon, but there's no way to tell unless he flares.

If his tail fin is 180 degrees straight up and down along the leading edge, he's a half-moon. If not 180*, he would be a delta.

Get a picture of him flaring and start another thread with it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Aren't bettas a pain to photograph! Mine get so excited when you are paying attention to them they just won't stay still long enough to get a focus lock!

The way his tail is shaped, probably a delta or super delta, depending on how close he comes to making a "D" with his tail when he flares.

Crowntails are easy to identify! I likes them! My alleged halfmoon is really a super delta, but what does Petsmart know :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts