Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody,
I am a brand new owner of a betta fish. The previous owner told me that it is a female betta smaragdina and that she had kept it with a male betta smaragdina as a pair. But as the two did not get along she was looking for a new home for the female. I have not seen the male betta samaragdina but when I watch my fish I doubt this is a female betta smaragdina. Does anyone know what kind of betta I have got now?
Thanks in advance (and sorry for the poor quality)!

·
Super Moderator
5,879 Posts
I have never had wild types. But I know wild types have short fins.

Not sure if breeders have isolated their colors as in splendens. To my knowledge it hasn't been done.

Your betta looks like a red long fin. I'm guessing a red VT female.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm definitely not an expert on wild bettas but I agree with indjo, she mostly looks like a regular domesticated betta splendens to me.

Possibly she's a hybrid, or the distinct greenish iridescence that smaragdina bettas have is faded because of new tank stress... But I'm not sure how likely that is, considering her long fins and chunky body are more typical of domestics.

Glad she's out of an unsuitable tank, she's a cutie no matter what!

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
She's definitely not B. smaragdina, or one of the other 'wild' splendens complex species.

I agree with Indjo in that she just looks like a red VT female.

A lot of sellers mislabel wild bettas. You see it a lot with traditional coloured plakats being sold as 'wild' B. splendens, or B. imbellis. Then if a person unfamiliar with these fish buys them, they don't know that what they have is simply a bog-standard pet store betta.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts