Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've posted these pics before when I introduced him. x) But I'm actually pretty curious as to what kind of betta he is exactly?

I tried looking at the betta colors/species lists but I'm not very good at figuring it out. :cry:

link to pics: http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=3194

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I would say a red and pink bi-colored VT

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say a red and pink bi-colored VT
Hmmm, so you DO think he's a VT? I wasn't sure, because I didn't think his fins were long enough! Can bettas' fins grow?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I'd say he's a VT too. He's stunning!

If you got him from a petshop with cold/dirty water, he may have lost some tail, in which case it may get longer. Sometimes, though, bettas just have different length tails because of genetics. In shows, it can be a fault but show regulations are pretty picky, so it hardly matters. He's gorgeous. :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
He is indeed a VT. xD
How long his fins are doesn't really matter, though he could be young or ecoveing fom fin damage. Their fins continue to grow for a long time, it just slows drastically as they age.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Beautiful betta! His fins are not super long, no, but I've had VTs with the same length of fins as yours, without damage or age being a factor. Some bettas have shorter fins, while others have the really long fins. :) Bi-colored, I think. And he is very pretty ^^

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I say to answer your question "can betta fins grow?" for sure they can! I think yours is a Veil Tail too and my Veil tale boy looked just like yours when I bought him. Now his fins are about 2 and a half inches long!

·
Registered
239 Posts
My first ever VT betta I got at the petco I worked at back then. He grew way bigger and got lots of finnage in just about a year. He lived to be about 4. I miss him terribly. He was a blue cambodian boy with the cutest little grumpy face. I wish I could find the pic of him a year later, because the change in fins was amazing! He didn't have fin rot or anything when I got him, he just grew up and matured. I think your betta's colors are amazing and he looks nice and happy and healthy! Congrats!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys!

I never would've guessed:) I'm very new to the world of bettas, and I'm just now learning everything about them. It's quite exciting. :-D

I'm excited to see how his fins grow out, I'll be taking puhlenty of pictures to keep track of it!

I'd say he's a VT too. He's stunning!

If you got him from a petshop with cold/dirty water, he may have lost some tail, in which case it may get longer. Sometimes, though, bettas just have different length tails because of genetics. In shows, it can be a fault but show regulations are pretty picky, so it hardly matters. He's gorgeous. :)
I didn't even know that they had fish shows! That is so cool. But I don't know why they would rule longer fins better, I think shorter fins are a whole different look of their own. I like both for what they are:)

My first ever VT betta I got at the petco I worked at back then. He grew way bigger and got lots of finnage in just about a year. He lived to be about 4. I miss him terribly. He was a blue cambodian boy with the cutest little grumpy face. I wish I could find the pic of him a year later, because the change in fins was amazing! He didn't have fin rot or anything when I got him, he just grew up and matured. I think your betta's colors are amazing and he looks nice and happy and healthy! Congrats!
Jaxon has the funniest grumpy face!! It makes me chuckle, his lips are in a constant pout. x) What does it mean when you say that he was cambodian? that's really cool:) I'll be sure to take pictures of him so I can keep track of how his fins have grown.

But seriously, thank you all for identifying him. Now I can actually make a signature X) pink and red bi-colored veiltail. he's my first:)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Cambodian is a light bodied betta with (usually red or a shade of red) darker fins. I have a cambodian boy (Conan) and had rescued then adopted out Reggie, who also was a cambodian.
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=cambodian+betta&um=1&hl=en&biw=1382&bih=773&tbm=isch&tbnid=go0IxaOazKrkeM:&imgrefurl=http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_colors.htm&docid=Y3Ud8xzqLrNN3M&imgurl=http://www.bettatalk.com/images/my_traditional_cambodian_flaring_1_web.gif&w=350&h=295&ei=QWcXT-XKHurh0QGUmYyKAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=767&vpy=140&dur=3130&hovh=206&hovw=245&tx=164&ty=116&sig=102007435352039922751&page=1&tbnh=131&tbnw=157&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0
Some are like this, some have a different shade of body, and most I've seen are red cambodians, or a deep maroon however, they apparently do come in other colors :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cambodian is a light bodied betta with (usually red or a shade of red) darker fins.
So do you think Jaxon is Cambodian? He kinda has that exact coloring! With the lightish stripes fanning out in the tail and everything. I'd be curious to see what MandiceP's blue one looked like:)

Probably a VT! He is a handsome betta!
thank you very much(; I'll be sure to pass on the message.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I think he is. He has the exact coloring my ol' Reggie. He had chewed down fins from whatever kind of fish... And missing scales... but once he regained both, he had the beautiful cambodian coloring! <3 it's coming to be more common here =D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sena Hansler: Actually, nevermind. Jaxon's colors on his body aren't quite as light as the one in your picture. But maybe somewhere in the bloodline?

EDIT: Hmmmm:) That's kind of exciting then.That is so awesome though, I think the coloring is beautiful :)) Imagine a green one! I love seeing fish recoveries and making discoveries about them after you've fixed them up:)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Well, remember the picture is not accurate to ALL cambodians. Some have darker shades on their body, some have a different shade on their fins :) From what I know, cambodian classifies as a light bodied betta with fins darker (solid color usually), than the body.
http://watershed3.tripod.com/types.html on here, it has a list of color types... 19 pictures down is the cambodian :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you're right. gawwww I love it :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
his tail looks kind of like a spade, but people say that a spade tail is just a type of veil tail. but im not sure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
his tail looks kind of like a spade, but people say that a spade tail is just a type of veil tail. but im not sure.
That's what I thought! But I wasn't sure if that's just the beginnings of a veiltail. Maybe when he grows it out, it will resemble one.

·
Registered
354 Posts
true, hope all goes well with him :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thank you :) hopefully he'll eat. -__- he hasn't eaten since I got him. He's so freaking picky.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts