Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a ghost shrimp at petco and i ask the employee if they sell the little snails in their tank, she said no but she also said she could throw in some so she gave me 4.

Now i don't know what kind of snail is this. It is just as big as a plump female's belly. It is not the long spiral type just the ordinary shell type.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Nerite? Mystery? Apple? Zebra?

Can we have a picture?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Im thinking mystery, thats the general snail petco seems to sell.

It would help if you could post a picture, or at least give us some colors.
Maybe look up the pictures of the snails BettaMiah posted and see which one is similar?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thats a good idea.

Mystery is a good guess. PetSmart and Petco always have them.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Don't Ramshorns have spiral shells? Or am i thinking of an assasin or something?

It could be a pond snail.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Pond snail was my first hitch hiker. Although I don't have my original anymore, I do have some offspring popping up now and then. Thankfully my fish eat the babies but one or two always survive. Mine was the size of a grain of rice, and ended up the size of a nickle before he passed. I love my pond snails, my Malaysian Trumpets not so much.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Depending on your tank size...you may want to squish any eggs you find during water change to keep population down...Pond snails can overpopulate a smaller tank pretty quickly...I always have a few pond snails in my tanks and i like them.. but I make sure to squish any eggs I find during water changes to keep the population down.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thank you Pitluvs for those pics of snails. It seems I got a hitchhiker

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've got a few pond snails that infiltrated my tank. But my MTS herd is in the hundreds now.. o-o

·
Registered
10,790 Posts
Aura, really? I don't think my MTS have bred yet and I'm pretty sure I got them from the same place as you. Unless I have a whole tribe of 'em under the substrate that I don't know about. :shock:

As a side note, nerites can't breed in freshwater so you will most likely never see baby nerites unless you actually buy them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Early this morning I looked at the tank and I saw baby MTS, several adults as well so I'm assuming they are doing well. I think we got the MTS at the same time.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've got hundreds and hundreds. I hope they don't eat all the algae before my otos.

·
Registered
206 Posts
How long do I nuke cucumber to feed the little beasties if they get out of hand?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd say 2-3 minutes should do it. more or less

1 - 20 of 48 Posts