Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this snail in my tank that used to be my sorority tank. And now there are a bunch of baby snails in there. I haven’t seen it before and I did a huge water change when I had some neons dying off like crazy. Even though the perimeters were fine I still did the huge change because I had one of my bettas and the neons die for no apparent reason that I could find. And out of nowhere this guy showed up. He had to be a hitchhiker but not sure from where and how long had it been for him to be that big.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so I have never had trumpet snails before and I guess these guys got in some how. And I have found several buried in my substrate. And a bunch of babies. So much fun. Grrrr so I took my filter out and rinsed it good And vacuum the 1/2 of the substrate good. So in a few days I will vacuum the other 1/2 good because it ended up take 50% of the water out and that is my 20 gallon tank. And I will be off to get some more assassin snails.

·
Super Moderator
22,744 Posts
A lot of people don't like MTS. However, they are excellent at aerating the soil which prevents gas pockets. Assassin Snails should take care of those that venture forth. The ones in the substrate are a good thing....at least in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea, but the aeration isn’t the problem…it’s the fish death when a fish attempts to eat it and the trap door shuts on their mouth and they are stuck.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
I haven´t heard of this. Could you tell about your experiences?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven´t heard of this. Could you tell about your experiences?
I just keep pea puffers. Peapuffers tend to get fed snails but only snails like ramhorm or the similar without trapdoors. If trumpet snails are fed you can commonly hear owners talking about crushing the trympet snails a bit before dropping it in. I really don’t know how to explain it I just picked up on it when I did my research before I brought my babies home a few years ago. When I go to buy food for my peas..snails that are harmful are just not on their menu and if it is like trumpet snails it comes with preparation in order to feed them which is crushing it a bit. I use to spend a great deal of time chasing various live foods for my peas or they won’t eat so mystery snails or trumpet is just not on their menu. They are alive still just not able to use their trap door when crushed. The way a pea puffer eats it will pucker its mouth to get the meat. So it’s dangerous to give them trumpet snails. Some bettas do learn to eat snails on their own or from watching other fish so it’s best not to keep snails that they can get caught trying to eat it. When a pea puffer gets caught by the trap door they can suffocate or tear their mouths off trying to get away depending on how they got caught. I don’t think a lot of ppl are aware of this. I absolutely will not let these kinds of snails near my bettas😂they can eat all the ramhorms they want but I’m not leaving trapdoors in their tanks 😅

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. I don’t know how they got in there but they did so I’m going to go and get a few assassins to get rid of them.

·
Super Moderator
22,744 Posts
I thought all snails had trapdoors or at least the ability to close tightly and maintain a grip? I belong to an African Dwarf Frog group where they tell people that Mystery Snails, Nerites, etc., will close their trapdoors on an ADF's foot and cause it to drown. They haven't yet provided proof. I find that a common recommendation in ADF groups.

Sometimes people will misinterpret what they see. For example, I can understand MTS (which can reach 1" but normally are about a half-inch) opportunity feeding and someone thinking they had trapped a fish. That's how a lot of Internet myths start. FWIW. jI could not find even one documented case of an MTS trapping a live, healthy fish. Now Trapdoor Snails? At 2"+ you betcha. :)

BTW, I got rid of mine with Assassin Snails, too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Interesting. I don’t know how they got in there but they did so I’m going to go and get a few assassins to get rid of them.
I never had much work outta my assassins. The easiest way to get rid of mts is to stick a plant with dead roots in the substrate and give it a few minutes then pull the plant up. They should be on it eating. Other pest snails you can just put a cucumber on a fork and set it down in the tank and just pick it up after they pile up so it’s a similar method. Unfortunately, a friend ask me to come take a look at something. I didn’t expect much and when I arrived I saw a pea puffer trap. It was upsetting for everyone so I hope no one ever have to witness or experience it themselves. Most MTS tend not to surface if you have predators hunting them they dive, but eventually they will surface and if you have them for long they can get sizeable and lots of babies. If you see them surface I would just pluck them out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought all snails had trapdoors or at least the ability to close tightly and maintain a grip? I belong to an African Dwarf Frog group where they tell people that Mystery Snails, Nerites, etc., will close their trapdoors on an ADF's foot and cause it to drown. They haven't yet provided proof. I find that a common recommendation in ADF groups.

Sometimes people will misinterpret what they see. For example, I can understand MTS (which can reach 1" but normally are about a half-inch) opportunity feeding and someone thinking they had trapped a fish. That's how a lot of Internet myths start. FWIW. jI could not find even one documented case of an MTS trapping a live, healthy fish. Now Trapdoor Snails? At 2"+ you betcha. :)

BTW, I got rid of mine with Assassin Snails, too.
No, nerites don’t have trap doors. Pea puffers snack bites outta them all day. All they can do is hide and burrow a bit but they can’t dive. Leaving a nerite in a pea puffer tank is like leaving out some kibbles for your dog. It’s safe for them to snack on it but most will go with a cheaper snail. My bettas and peas both do this so I will remove the poor nerite once the bettas learn to eat them. If you have MTS long enough they will get pretty big. I had some about 1.5 inches in aquariums as young as 1.5-2 yrs running. Especially if you feed heavy and don’t vacuum they will have a lot of babies. They also do add to your bio load. So if they are under your substrate and you are not aware to add in their bio load along with your fishes you can be off a bit. If your hobby includes tracking your tds just be aware that can throw it off too. My tanks are 100% planted and my plants are always starving so my setup can handle it. If someone has lightly planted and small water volume they may not want the extra bio load. So it really depends on what you are trying to do. Turning substrate, you can grow banana plant or a nymph Lilly and the roots will turn your substrate for you plus if you gravel vac correctly then you really don’t need the extra MTS. More snails you don’t need will just get costly on your gh in the long run.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, as much as I thought about snapping a pic for educational purposes..I was more keen on being respectful to the pet owner while their lil pea was trap, still alive turning purple and green as it’s suffocating struggling and getting clamped down harder. I hope ppl don’t need to see this to take percaution. I can’t stop thinking about that baby from time to time and lost sleep thinking about it last night after chatting with you guys. If I was there when it happened maybe I coulda snatch it up right away and hammer it free immediately. But I doubt it would have made a difference. If you just breathe hard the snail clamps down more. You really would have to be there with a hammer ready to pounce and hopefully you can pick it up out the aquarium without the snail clamping down more but that’s just impossible. Best just don’t have MTS. There’s a lot more to chose from in the hobby so taking risks is not necessary IMO.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These little hitchhikers need to go. I regularly vacuum but they don’t seems to get sucked up. They float around in the vac and drop when you go to move it to another section.

·
Registered
22 Posts
These little hitchhikers need to go. I regularly vacuum but they don’t seems to get sucked up. They float around in the vac and drop when you go to move it to another section.
Sounds about right. Try sticking a dead plant root or a blanche cucumber down to bait them yet? lol

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m going to do either blanched lettuce like I did for the pond snails to help out the assassins in my other tank or cucumber. I got my 2 bounty hunters Groot and Rocket aka assassin snails today. So hopefully I will start seeing less of those other pest snails.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts