Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to fish owning, bought my first betta on sunday and hes only just started eating and being active today (thursday) havent done a water change yet as wanted to let him settle, came back to this today its on both suckers on the thermometer and the knob on the top can anyone fill me in as to what on earth it is?

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
i actually have no idea, it freaked me out. all i know i think that is NOT from the betta. looks like a fungus, but have no idea why it is on equipment

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Looks almost like a foam, though I have never seen something like it. I would take it back and tell them/ show them what it is, it could be toxic you never know.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Someone suggested to me that it might be a bacterial bloom.
I'd disinfect it with vinegar and hot water and rinse it really well. Then see if it comes back.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Touch it.

What does it feel like? If its foam then...that's just strange. If its soft it could be a fungus which is very BAD for your fish. Do a 100% water change in hot water (remember, NO soap) and thoroughly scrub all decoration sand the thermometer. I would also keep an eye out on your fish because fungus disease can be quick and deadly.

If after the water change it comes back then post here again. Perhaps with more information we can determine what that stuff is and if maybe it is from a reaction from something within the tank.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
hmm I had a similar thing on my suction cup for my heater too just not as thick. It kinda felt slimy but then again I thought it was just old glue and wiped it off. By the time I noticed it, it had been about a week but my fish were never sick from it. I haven't checked recently for it though. I shall go do that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had this stuff on my heater it wasn't as thick but looks like the same stuff. I cleaned it when I did my water changes. My shrimp would eat it and they're still living. When I added some anacharis and hornwort to my tanks it really slowed down the growth. So with my plants and shrimp I never see it anymore.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
for what its worth, it may just be a harmless bacterial growth on the rubber sections of the heater. the elite mini have such a white slimy coating on the oring between the control head and the heating element. you could wipe it off though someimes it comes right back.

Hagen's response to the white material on the oring is on pg2, pics of the white coating on pg3
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=86939

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you all for your input, Im cleaning the whole tank today hopefully its nothing and wont appear again!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts