Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there are any other fish that you could put in a 10 gallon tank with a betta. There seems to not be much other fish, because the other fish can't be aggressive, they can't fin nip, they can't be a gourami, and they can't get big because, well, it is a 10 gallon tank!

·
Registered
980 Posts

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Except I would avoid barbs, and unless you have a large tank and a mellow betta NO guppies, or long finned danios. :/
And you are right on NO gouramis. Bettas ARE gouramis, and will not last with a cousin. Same with cichlids. I've had a betta with a bad outcome from them.

I'd say 4 tetra, and a betta. I wouldn't max out the tank with 6 of a certain fish with the betta because it could cause a lot more problems. I wouldn't go with danios, or neon tetras because they are active :) Shrimp and snails are generally ok but may get nommed on

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I cause more problems not having enough tetras - in small groups, they are more stressed, thus more nippy. Better to overstock slightly than have too small a school. :)

What you can stock with depends on your water parameters - pH and hardness. For instance, in hard water, livebearers are better, but in soft water, you want something like tetras. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts