Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 40bucks I can spend on amazon. I was wondering what things for my fish I should get. I am leaning in the medicine area especially one that can fight fin rot. I will be doing research myself but I figured suggestions will help. Another thing,please be sure they are safe for tetras also because I have some of those.

Thanks! All suggestions will be appriciated!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Well the most essencial things you are going to want for a betta are: a heater, cave(mug, terracotta pot, aquarium decoration),and water conditioner. Everything else you can get on a need to have basis.

·
Registered
156 Posts
food, treats, a new cute plant/cave, water conditioner,

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
On Amazon you can get heaters for good prices and a betta log which bettas love.
For medicines, the best for finrot is aquarium salt. Not recomended to use strong medications, they do more harm than good.
The only additive I use in the water besides my conditioner is Aquari-sol. It keeps my fish healthy and it gets rid of ick overnight but it's very hard to find.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
You could get some IAL (as tetra also come from blackwater and do best in soft, acidic water). I wouldn't buy meds because they have a limited shelf life and will probably expire before you need them. You could also get an API testing kit (if you don't already have one). Other than that it would be frozen food treats and hiding places.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I agree - most medications will expire before you use them. And the best medication is prevention. IAL would be my choice, as long as you have all the other necessaries (tank, water conditioner, filter, heater etc).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with Bombalurina, get some indian almond leaves with your money, those leave will help you more than anything else.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sorta confused. What does IAL even do? I will probably get some decor for the tank and aq and epsom salt. Besides the heater, filter, decor, test kit and conditioner, are there any other must haves?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked IAL up so now I know what it is. Now,what is black water? Also, what is the reasonable about to put in an 10 gal heated and filtered tank?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I looked IAL up so now I know what it is. Now,what is black water? Also, what is the reasonable about to put in an 10 gal heated and filtered tank?
Black water is just tannin-stained water. IAL and driftwood release these into the tank. It's not necessary for a soft water fish tank; it's a preference for some people. Stocking a 10 gal depends on your water parameters. If you have hard water you could go with a few guppies. If you have soft water you could do some small tetra or rasbora.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts