Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yesterday I went to Petsmart (since my Petco doesn't have Marimo >.<) And looked over the bettas. They had some very nice lavender colored VT females...

I also noticed that a Tetra 10gal kit was only 20-something dollars. I could also just get a bare tank for $15, but I'm worried about fishies jumping *pokes signature* I want to go for either a sorority (since my boy is happy in his 1.5 gal) or some strange yellow guppies my Petsmart had. (never knew they could be yellow ;o)

Also want to try some plants in it, but my Petsmart didn't have any that were on the common plants list. However, I saw a plant the piqued my interest and wondered if anyone knew if it was truly aquatic or not? It's called Moneywort.

So here is my question over all. Should I go with a sorority or should I go with the guppies? I really want a sorority but the guppies also looked just as miserable shoved in a tank with small two-tailed goldfish (the really small/cheap ones that look like koi fish).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
well one, your male is really pretty, and two, i think you should do a sorority, mainly because most bettas die in their cups before they are bought , but if your heart is set on guppies, then go for the poor little guppies. its a hard decision, maybe you can do some research and see if you can put guppies in your sorority, or ask other people if its possible, or if they have tried it..

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehe, he is a spoiled boy -w-

The one thing I'm worried about on the guppies though, is that they almost look like those 'fancy' guppies with the longer fins, and their aren't a really BRIGHT yellow, but it might provoke the females into attacking if I put them together....I want to try it but not if it'll put either fishies in danger...*cries* This is such a hard decision. I can't split the tank for them or anything either Dx

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
where your signature says owner... is that really you? o.o i want to assume not, but you never know...

and, idk you can buy them, and put them in a bag and let them float around your sorority and if the females down try to attack them then, then let them in the tank, and if it doesn't work out, take all the guppies or bettas back..

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hehehe No it's not me, but that was my reaction when my boy took his first water-change jump.

And that sounds like a good idea....I might get only....maybe 3 females and a few of the guppies (Since I read they all need a lot of space). If it doesn't work out I could try to move the guppies into my platy fry tank since they're too big to be eaten now :eek: If only temporary....

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Well three females is too few for a sorority. Five is the recommended number, but the more the better. Guppies need hard water to thrive long-term, so if you have hard water, go for it. Sororities are hard work and from what I hear can be more work than joy. If you're looking for a project, then it could be fun, but if you just want something to enjoy, get a tank of male guppies. They come in all kinds of colors (almost any color you can think of) and generally don't cause problems. But I don't think it would be a good idea to females and guppies together.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well three females is too few for a sorority. Five is the recommended number, but the more the better. Guppies need hard water to thrive long-term, so if you have hard water, go for it. Sororities are hard work and from what I hear can be more work than joy. If you're looking for a project, then it could be fun, but if you just want something to enjoy, get a tank of male guppies. They come in all kinds of colors (almost any color you can think of) and generally don't cause problems. But I don't think it would be a good idea to females and guppies together.
Looks like I'm going to have to give away my platy babies then to clear out their tank. I don't want to do it as a project like I do with breeding though :( I'm seriously wanting to get the guppies and baby females out of the situation they are in now. They had the girls in those little half-gallon keepers (2 in each one!) and those guppies stuck in the goldfish tank...What is the max amount of females you can have in a 10 gal? 4-6?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts