Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what a good tank size is for a betta, my old betta was in a 2 Gallon tank (The tank is gone now, sadly) and did just fine. But I was wondering if 1.5 Gallons would be enough or if I should get a bigger one.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
There's no one answer to this question and you will find this is one topic that really divides the betta community.

Personally I like around 20L (think this is about 5 gallons) per betta. However, provided that a 1.5 gallon is kept clean and the water is an appropriate temperature, there's nothing wrong with keeping a betta in a tank that size.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no one answer to this question and you will find this is one topic that really divides the betta community.

Personally I like around 20L (think this is about 5 gallons) per betta. However, provided that a 1.5 gallon is kept clean and the water is an appropriate temperature, there's nothing wrong with keeping a betta in a tank that size.
Thanks for your input, it helps me alot because I got him a couple days ago and planning to go to PetSmart tommorow and buy the 1.5 gallon or the 2 gallon tank. Thanks :))

·
Registered
702 Posts
Bigger is always better if you can. I personally think 2.5 is the minimum, but if you keep up with all the care of a 1.5 gallon, then it's probably fine. I believe 1.5 gallon tanks need daily water changes, but someone may correct me on that. It's so much more fun to give them room to swim around though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah bigger is better, its just I don't have alot of money to spend I have around $25-35 that I'd be able to spend on the tank I've been looking into it and it might be able to get me a 2.5 gallon tank. But I am heading to PetSmart tomorrow anyways so I might be able to get a good deal there. Thanks for your help guys, I really appriciate it!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yeah bigger is better, its just I don't have alot of money to spend I have around $25-35 that I'd be able to spend on the tank I've been looking into it and it might be able to get me a 2.5 gallon tank. But I am heading to PetSmart tomorrow anyways so I might be able to get a good deal there. Thanks for your help guys, I really appriciate it!
$25 can get you these two 2.5 gallons from petsmart:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquari...d36-17638/cat-36-catid-300013?var_id=36-17638

Or this one:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquari...d36-21385/cat-36-catid-300013?var_id=36-21385

I can't speak for the Top Fin tank, but I have the Natgeo one and it's nice. :) And if you want to go drastically bigger...for $24, you can even get a 10 gallon. The reviews say the hood is sort of bad though.

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariums-stands/top-fin-10-gallon-hooded-aquarium-zid36-17595/cat-36-catid-300013?var_id=36-17595&_t=pfm%3Dcategory%26pfmvalue%3Dfaceted

Edit: My mistake, that isn't the same NatGeo tank I have, but it still looks like it'd be nice. I have this one:
http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/aq...36-catid-300065?var_id=36-21383&_t=pfm=search
I happened to get mine for $25 when it was on sale.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It all depends on how often you want/can clean the tank. If you're prepared to do daily water changes then a 1.5 shouldn't be that bad. I'd recommend something a little bigger (2.5-5) but I do understand that tanks can be pricey

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$25 can get you these two 2.5 gallons from petsmart:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquari...d36-17638/cat-36-catid-300013?var_id=36-17638

Or this one:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquari...d36-21385/cat-36-catid-300013?var_id=36-21385

I can't speak for the Top Fin tank, but I have the Natgeo one and it's nice. :) And if you want to go drastically bigger...for $24, you can even get a 10 gallon. The reviews say the hood is sort of bad though.

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariums-stands/top-fin-10-gallon-hooded-aquarium-zid36-17595/cat-36-catid-300013?var_id=36-17595&_t=pfm%3Dcategory%26pfmvalue%3Dfaceted

Edit: My mistake, that isn't the same NatGeo tank I have, but it still looks like it'd be nice. I have this one:
http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/aq...36-catid-300065?var_id=36-21383&_t=pfm=search
I happened to get mine for $25 when it was on sale.
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I will definitely look in to these!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It all depends on how often you want/can clean the tank. If you're prepared to do daily water changes then a 1.5 shouldn't be that bad. I'd recommend something a little bigger (2.5-5) but I do understand that tanks can be pricey
I am probably looking at getting a 2.5 gallon tank, which I think is perfect for my betta Nova which is not too crazy and not too lazy he is very active though.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I have a 1.5 gallon and two 2.5 gallons and I personally prefer the 2.5 gallons. But Since I can't afford an upgrade for my boy in the 1.5 gallon I'm happy to do the required WC to keep him healthy. As long as they are maintained properly 1.5 gallons are great little tanks. But I wouldn't really personally use anything smaller than 1.5 gallons.

·
Registered
988 Posts
2.5 is perfect for a betta. I've had a halfmoon in a planted 2.5 for a few months, and it's just right for him. :) I suggest doing two 50% water changes per week once it's cycled. If it's planted, you might be able to get away with one. Anything smaller than 2 gallons will need daily or every other day water changes.

Alternatively, if you possibly want a bigger tank, you could get a 5.5 gallon and divide it for two bettas (or give one lots of space), or you could get a 10 gallon and possibly get other tankmates. All three sizes of tanks cost about $10-15 at Petco. :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
The smallest I keep mine in is 3g giant bowls, and for tanks from a store, I'd go with a 5.5 minimum. They're pretty cheap, and a lot more customisable. Most of the junk they toss in with kits is literally junk, and you'll want to replace it before long.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I felt the need to re-comment on this because I don't think I really answered the question well. Mind, everyone is going to have different opinions on this, but I think that virtually everyone on this board can agree that 5g is a reasonable size to have a betta in.

Some people think you can go lower, many suggest bigger (you should see when I had one of my bettas in 20 gallon... pure joy)... But I think virtually everyone can agree that a filtered, heated 5 gallon tank would keep a fish happily. I think this should be the baseline to start with, it's surprisingly affordable to get a quality 5.5g going vs a tank you'll want to replace half of in a month.

It shouldn't be about only what works for you, but you really need to consider what works for your fish. What makes them happy? I know, once someones heart is set on that oh-so-cute tiny tank, it's hard to change it because it works for them... But when you're evaluating your options, consider your fish as well as your needs. They're a living creature, and will reward you with their amazing personalities & appearances if treated well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have my betta in a 6L tank at the moment, and while the size hasn't been a problem, to me it just...seems too small. Although one should hardly base their decisions off a feeling, haha.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I felt the need to re-comment on this because I don't think I really answered the question well. Mind, everyone is going to have different opinions on this, but I think that virtually everyone on this board can agree that 5g is a reasonable size to have a betta in.

Some people think you can go lower, many suggest bigger (you should see when I had one of my bettas in 20 gallon... pure joy)... But I think virtually everyone can agree that a filtered, heated 5 gallon tank would keep a fish happily. I think this should be the baseline to start with, it's surprisingly affordable to get a quality 5.5g going vs a tank you'll want to replace half of in a month.

It shouldn't be about only what works for you, but you really need to consider what works for your fish. What makes them happy? I know, once someones heart is set on that oh-so-cute tiny tank, it's hard to change it because it works for them... But when you're evaluating your options, consider your fish as well as your needs. They're a living creature, and will reward you with their amazing personalities & appearances if treated well.
+1 to this post. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
+1 to this post. :)
Make that a +2. Everyone has there own Idea as far as what size tank is needed. Pandanke I think has it right. Think of it this way. You could survive in a 3 foot wide by 6 foot long cage for the rest of your life with food and water. Are you really living? Think of how your betta feels in a tiny tank. In my humble opinion, the more space you can give him the better. Just remember Betta do not live in deep water, they live in shallow rice paddies and slow moving if not still water. With a larger tank you need to have plenty of areas for the betta to rest near the top of the water. (remember betta breath air and need to be able to get from the bottom of a tank to the top for breathing.) A 2.5 gallon tank is bear minimum and I do mean bear minimum. Betta need a temperature of between 78 and 82 degrees. PH between 6.8 to 7.6 and clean tank conditions. A good filter is a good thing to invest in. (however with a 2.5 gallon tank there is no filtration or a place to put in a heater. You must do daily water changes an keep the waste out and the ammonia and nitrate levels to 0 ppm. A healthy tank means healthy fish. I always recommend at least a 4 gallon tank with an adjustable heater (not preset junk where your room temperature needs to be 70 degrees and above to keep the tank at a 78 degree level.) A good filter either a sponge filter or in some cases the tank comes with a filter and may need to be restricted. Either way the filter is a key part of the tank keeping it clean and a place where good bacteria thrive to clean the tank. Also a good filter reduces the amount of water changes needed to be done and doesn't disturb the betta that often. Make a good choice for your betta home get essentials to start and be able to add in the near future. When money is limited and space is limited you need to make the best choice for the fish.

Harry's 4 gallon Marineland classic.
http://www.bettafish.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=418754&stc=1&d=1408798673

Attachments

·
Registered
6,727 Posts

While I totally and 100% agree with this.

Sometimes a 5 gallon tank isn't a possibility for some people, not because of price but because of space. I would LOVE to get my fish 5 gallon tanks and I can afford them. However, my apartment is just too small for them. In addition, to get my 2.5 gallon tanks I have now i had to buy additional small tables. Seeing as I am in college, they are from ikea. Only one (possibly two) of the tables can support the weight of a 5 gallon tank. So if I were to upgrade my tanks then id need to buy all new furniture which I can't afford to do.

A 2.5 gallon tank is okay, a 5 gallon is a better choice. However, I have 3 2.5 filtered set ups and none of my fish have any health problems besides ones they came to me with, which I treated and they have recovered. Yes, with a 2.5 there are a lot of water changes and it's a lot of work. But if you keep up with them, then your betta will be healthy.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Also adding on to that, while a bigger tank usually works out fine, a larger tank is NOT always best for each betta. People here would agree that each betta has their own personality and I've seen plenty of people here say that their betta totally freaked out in a larger tank so they put them back in the smaller one. Bettas are certainly not a "one size fits all" sort of pet, so I don't think there will ever truly be an agreement on what size is best. When that's the case, it really is up to the owner to decide what is best for their betta.

I think as long as the proper amount of care is given to the 2.5 gallon tanks, then a betta could live happily just fine. I think you might be anthropomorphizing a little bit. Most people here don't just give their bettas water and food and call it a day. While there may not be as much room to swim as a 5 gallon, there's plenty to do to keep them entertained. They seem perfectly happy with mixing up the decor once in a while and playing with them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.