Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've often used this site for information but this is my first post so I hope I don't do anything that goes against the rules.

I have a 10 gallon heated and planted tank. My little guy Phin McCools just past away this week. Now I am 95% sure he passed away from constipation (I left for two days and there was a misunderstanding between me and my dad. He forgot that I told him to feed Phin only one pellet a day. Instead he fed him 5 or 6 and when I came back he was extremely bloated. His scales weren't sticking out so I don't think it's dropsy and he wasn't swimming sideways so no SBD. I didn't feed him after that but he was older and I suppose he couldn't handle it.)

My question is this: in order to introduce a new betta or fish into the tank, what would I need to do? I have a snail in there, it's cycled, and planted so I don't want to completely empty it out and give it a scrub like I normally would.

I'm fairly sure he didn't die from a parasite or virus (he had both velvet and fin rot when I got him from the store and I treated them both and in doing so did a ton of research on better illnesses). So there shouldn't be anything in the water to harm a new fish, but I don't want to take any big chances.

There is currently a filter up and running since he passed, though normally I had it kept off because the current was too strong.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just do a 100% water change, then your ready for another inhabitant. If your filter was off then how was your tank cycled?
If the filter isn't running then there is no water turnover and the ammonia from fish waste and left over food wont be feeding the bacteria in the filter. Just like the fish, the bacteria needs a food source or it will die off.
You can make modifications to your filter output to reduce the flow and stop your fish from being pushed around in the current.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just do a 100% water change, then your ready for another inhabitant. If your filter was off then how was your tank cycled?
If the filter isn't running then there is no water turnover and the ammonia from fish waste and left over food wont be feeding the bacteria in the filter. Just like the fish, the bacteria needs a food source or it will die off.
You can make modifications to your filter output to reduce the flow and stop your fish from being pushed around in the current.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The filter was originally running for a few weeks before I put my betta in (he used to be in a heated 2.5 gallon). My original plan was to keep the filter but even on the lowest setting it was way too strong (It came with the tank and I think was designed with goldfish in mind). He was only in there for a few days before he died, and my plan was to get something like a whisper filter that he could handle. I figured he'd be alright until the weekend when I could go get one.

Won't the 100% change be rough on the plants? That's what I'm worried about, as well as the snail who lIves there now.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Overfeeding and a tank change. Sounds like stress got the better of your old fish.

A 100% change is not necessary, but a large change, considering the plants, would ease your mind.

I'd feel safe putting another fish in there right away. Take frequent readings until you and the fish are comfortable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts