Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the tragic death of Teddy Salad, SIP, I have decided to get a new beautiful Betta. I have most equipment that I need, except a better water testing kit, and food!
Do different types of Bettas need different types of food? Is live food a good idea? If so, does anyone have any suggestions?
I might have had a problem with food before, so I want to stop with the flakes and just feed my new fish Hikari brand pellets (I've heard they're OK), blood worms as occasional treats, and maybe some live food if it is recommended.
Just hoping to keep a Betta as healthy as possible!:question:

·
Registered
29 Posts
It really depends on your betta! Some bettas will eat whatever you give them, and some prefer certain things. So get a little of everything! Pellets, dried blood worms, or brine shrimp! Be adventurous!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
All bettas have the same care requirements, no matter tail type or sex. For food the most recommended brands are New Life Spectrum and Omega One, and most agree that pellets are better than flakes. Hikari isn't a brand I have personal experience with, but they should be pretty good if you check the ingredients list- you want to see lots of fish, and few fillers like soybean and corn meal.

Live foods I also don't have experience with, but I think they would be okay as treats; you'd need to offer a large variety if you wanted to feed live as a staple food. Frozen bloodworms are also good treats, freeze-dried are basically potato chips and can cause bloating, so be careful with those.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Live foods are nice. Blackworms, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae etc. And if you have a lot of fish or are breeding, they're well worth the effort. For one or two Betta, they;re more trouble than they're worth.

As Rana says NLS Betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet are the best you can easily come by. Frozen daphnia is good for roughage. Frozen bloodworms are fine, but for one fish are not economical in my opinion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a bunch, everyone!
I think I will look into frozen or live foods as an occasional treat. I believe Hikari is ok, but when that is gone (there isn't much in a package) I will switch over to one of the other brands.
Only the best for my future Dr. Mabuse!!!:-D

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Why feed you fish inferior food when you can get NLS or O1 for only a few dollars? Using up bad food is a false economy, in my opinion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ethoxyquin?

So I have been reading up on the most recommended foods for Bettas, and found one person who said that the Omega One Betta Buffet pellets have ethoxyquin in them. Apparently it is used as both a pet food preservative and a pesticide.
Does anyone have any information about whether or not it can be harmful as a food preservative? I don't want to be an alarmist but if it isn't just one internet crazy person giving a bad review, then I would like to know.

Completely unrelated to the food part, I am also wondering if a betta that has been in Indian Almond Leaf extract treated water will need to be in the same kind, or just acclimatized to my water. I've always figured that the fish from the pet store are already in Houston/hometown water, so it wouldn't be as big of a problem. Do bettas react to different municipal waters? Should I look into purified water? Or will a water conditioner take care of this for me? And if it will equalize different waters, should the leaf extract be used with it or by itself?

·
Registered
354 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts