Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

My LFS has a bunch of aquascaping rocks for sale. Most of them are razor-sharp, so not at all fin-friendly. There is however one type of smooth rock that I like, and I was wondering what type of rock it is so that I can research whether the rock would affect my water parameters.

The store has it labelled as "Scenery Stone" and I've seen it used in aquascaping before, but I have no idea what it's actually called. Does anyone know?

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Does it have a shimmery-like look to it? Not metallic shimmery but with some shimmer? It's probably quartzite, which is perfectly safe in the aquarium. However if it's a bit grainy with no shimmer and there's sand-like particles at the bottom it might be sandstone, which is not good in the aquarium unless you have soft water and would like to harden it. Hard to tell from this photo but those two options seem the most likely from what I can tell.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's quartz. Ugh I was hoping it wasn't sandstone or limestone or something like that. What about this rock? They labelled it "Gobi stone":

Attachments

· Registered
2,307 Posts
I hate when shops give rocks silly names like that, makes it hard to know whats actually in it. If its a calcareous sandstone call it that, if its quartz sandstone call it one and there will be so much less confusion as to whether its suitable for your tank or not.

Top one looks like sandstone or mudstone but hard to tell from the pics. Can you see any crystals in it? if so then its most likely igneous and safe. If you can see grains instead then its sedimentary and is a sandstone, or if the grains are teeny and hard to see then its a mudstone

Bottom one looks like layered mud/siltstone. It looks safe to me, looks like it has quite a bit of quartz in it from the pictures at least

Most sandstones/sedimentary rocks are safe, its just some that have calcareous grains or fossils that could affect water parameters. A lot of sandstones are made out of quartz and feldspar grains which are fine. But the top rock does look a bit chalky s might want to give it a miss just incase...

If youre really worried smuggle a tiny chip home, pour vinegar onto it and see what happens

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll go get a little piece tomorow and experiment on it :p thanks guys :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.