Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Buddy, Miss Shellby, Lunar, Miss Butterworth, Yogi (passed away), Brody and Simon
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I was just trimming plants Buddy’s tank and found a couple of teeny tiny snails. I moved them to another small tank of mine. I just put some new plants in his tank last week so I’m hoping I don’t have a snail explosion. Can anyone help me identify what type they are? Thanks in advance.
1B9EF201-CFB3-4A15-9344-B71A3DDC6D33.jpeg
0B0A152C-FE14-497A-9AF7-65B1050AE22F.png
89E459F1-AB35-4877-A927-A0FB7F347D5E.png

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi!
Looks like a regular Bladder Snail to me.
You may compare to online descriptions as I don‘t know if you have any other similar looking snails in the States.
If you don‘t like them just scoop any possible new ones out aswell (they are teeny tiny spots when they are young and will be seen on any surface in the tank).
I keep mine and so far they haven‘t become a plague. Especially not in the Betta only tanks.

Reactions: YogisMom

·
Premium Member
Buddy, Miss Shellby, Lunar, Miss Butterworth, Yogi (passed away), Brody and Simon
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi!
Looks like a regular Bladder Snail to me.
You may compare to online descriptions as I don‘t know if you have any other similar looking snails in the States.
If you don‘t like them just scoop any possible new ones out aswell (they are teeny tiny spots when they are young and will be seen on any surface in the tank).
I keep mine and so far they haven‘t become a plague. Especially not in the Betta only tanks.
Ok, great! I read they’ll eat algae and I’m on the hunt for the horned nerite snails so I will keep them and see if they do some dirty work for me in the meantime. They are really cute. Thanks for getting back to me! I was thinking they were either pond or bladder snails from what I saw online so this confirms it!

·
Registered
Akila and Atticus <3
588 Posts
Just make sure not to overfeed and keep up with water changes or they might overpopulate.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just make sure not to overfeed and keep up with water changes or they might overpopulate.
I will definitely be doing some research before I move them back to Buddy’s tank. Thank you so much for your advice. I definitely don’t want them to take over. Do you happen to know if they carry disease? I can look it up too but now I’m al little worried about that.

thank you again!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I will definitely be doing some research before I move them back to Buddy’s tank. Thank you so much for your advice. I definitely don’t want them to take over. Do you happen to know if they carry disease? I can look it up too but now I’m al little worried about that.

thank you again!
Definitely a bladder snail! I have never had a problem with a disease or anything from them. It’s up to you if you want to keep them, I personally like mine in the tank. As others have said as long as you don’t overfeed they won’t take over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely a bladder snail! I have never had a problem with a disease or anything from them. It’s up to you if you want to keep them, I personally like mine in the tank. As others have said as long as you don’t overfeed they won’t take over.
Have u ever had a problem with them eating a batch of betta eggs? I have some in my breeding tank and I had a batch of eggs however my eggs disappeared on the day they were supposed to be hatch. Slightly upset/annoyed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts