Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an empty 10g now thanks to a water changing accident that killed my two males that shared the divided tank. It was a temporary divide so I have the full 10g again. I've decided I don't want to divide it again, it was a pain in the but with cleaning. So my female is in my old 3.5 and a new male i bought is in her 5g. I'm trying to think of something besides a betta i could put in the 10g. I was thinking either maybe a pair of ADFs or i think i saw someone on here a few months back with a miniature puffer fish in a 10g. Any other ideas or comments? Thanks! And it's good to be back, i think i've been gone for atleast 1-2 months, lol. Works been keeping me busy.

·
Registered
535 Posts
mollies, they come in all different colors and do well with bettas :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i want something besides a betta :) can mollies go in a 10g? i thought they needed something bigger

·
Registered
263 Posts
How about a few guppies? Dwarf puffers are pretty cool. They sound like a pain in the hindquarters to care for, though. I researched those a while back.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Guppies are ridiculously over-bred, so are prone to diseases. Mollies do well in a 20 or 30 gallon and prefer brakish water.

What is the hardness, and PH of your water?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Well there isn't too much that can fit in a 10 gal tank. That's why I only use them for divided betta homes. Mollies would get too big. And unless you can find guppies from a good breeder, you're likely to get really weak ones. Endlers would be cool, but they need hard water. Once you let us know your water parameters we can help you stock the tank.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
what about cory's?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fresh Water puffers are usually brakish water. For a 10 gallon tank I would get guppies, platties, or any small tetras with a cory catfish and some snails.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Dwarf puffers are the only true freshwater for life puffer fish, actually. But you are right, normal ones can have quite confusing lives, some needing to go from fresh to full salt to mature properly. O-O
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
This isn't a fish, but a syrian hamster or a pair of dwarf hamsters could live in there.

Tetras like neons or cardinals would work and look cool. Cories need to be in a group of 3+.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Fresh Water puffers are usually brakish water. For a 10 gallon tank I would get guppies, platties, or any small tetras with a cory catfish and some snails.
This is off-topic, but I noticed your signature and it says you have a 2 gallon with a comet goldie, they get huge, and prefer a 75 gallon.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Maisy I was thinking the same thing...

Cherry barbs? They are super hardy and you can't really go wrong with them. Or you could do endlers, a more expensive fish though as it is much newer, hopefully their genetics don't get trashed like guppies.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
ZTK has a pond for the goldie, just for ease of mind. It was a temporary thing so no worries. :)
I like pygmy cories if you can find those.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Alright thanks for clearing that up Olympia. I figured that he had something else because almost all real fish keepers know it, if you don't... I wouldn't consider you to even turn my lights on lol.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
ZTK has a pond for the goldie, just for ease of mind. It was a temporary thing so no worries. :)
Thanks. I was worried!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
This isn't a fish, but a syrian hamster or a pair of dwarf hamsters could live in there.

Tetras like neons or cardinals would work and look cool. Cories need to be in a group of 3+.
+1 A pair of Winter Whites would be nice in there. ;)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
On here people think a 10 gallon is huge, but they still limit you a whole lot when it comes to stocking. Really just one big school of fish is best. So if you do neons do like 9, cherry barbs like 7 and so fourth.

You won't be able to do two schools besides bare minimum, and fish don't do good if you do something minimal. So it is better for you to stick with one species.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
On here people think a 10 gallon is huge, but they still limit you a whole lot when it comes to stocking. Really just one big school of fish is best. So if you do neons do like 9, cherry barbs like 7 and so fourth.

You won't be able to do two schools besides bare minimum, and fish don't do good if you do something minimal. So it is better for you to stick with one species.
+10 Just better to stick with one species of fish well maintained rather than two schools barely maintained.

It is kinda hard for me to wrap my mind around someone thinking a 10 gal is huge. They are the smallest tanks I own. Now a 200 gal, that's a pretty big tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts