Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .7 gallon cube tank that's currently sitting empty. Obviously it's a bit too small for long-term betta housing, but I'm not sure what else to do with such a tiny aquarium. It's a very cute tank and I think it would look nice in my bathroom somewhere or as a centerpiece on a table.

What would you put in a .7 gallon? I was thinking of turning it into a planted ghost/cherry shrimp tank. I have a few questions about the shrimp:
1. How many could I fit in this tank?
2. Do they need a heater and a filter? (I've read conflicting info about this.)
3. Could I mix species (i.e., two cherries and one ghost shrimp)?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
They do have a low bioload, I'd say start out with 4?

Not sure on a heater, but if anything give them a small preset...

As for filter, they like a little movement in their water and if anything get them a bubbler =D You can get the ornament ones, even.

I believe you can mix species. I had a red claw with ghosties...

·
Registered
632 Posts
The general rule for Shrimp is nothing smaller then a gallon but you could try 2 or 3. If not turn it into a hospital tank or a tank for growing plants.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Or a mossball convention. >.>

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I was thinking a moss ball too. lol
Or some other small live aquarium plant, I think that would look nice. :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
You could always have it fully planted and just see what little water critters come in. Things like daphnia, cyclops and other microfauna can actually be just as interesting as fish if the environment is set up to where they thrive. Seed shrimp are brilliant and look like drunken bees swimming through your tank, they also come in different sizes and colours.

I've raised various types of microfauna (some unintentionally) and have often found myself staring at them for as long - if not sometimes longer - than my other fish. The one thing you'd have to consider is the potential for mosquito larvae if the tank isn't covered but these are easily identified and removed with a turkey baster.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I'd like to put the guy selling the .7 tanks to people for their fish in there..

Mosquito larvae make great betta snacks.

I have a 1-litre (.5g) micro tank NPT as an experiment (documenting this in my journal here, updates in a few days). I was thinking, one shrimp or... a mozzie larvae washout tank. From the backyard bucket to the little NPT for a bit of quarantine, then into my fish's hungry tum. Nice and handy, having a few indoors when I need them..

·
Registered
692 Posts
Plants~! You could start plants out in it and let them grow into the tank! Like your own aquatic garden :3

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ooo....I might have to keep that in mind *w*

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions! I think I'm going to just go with the planted shrimp tank. Besides moss balls, any ideas for small low-light plants I could add to the tank? I already have a bonsai mini-palm that I plan to add, but I need 1-2 other small true aquatic plants.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts