Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone recognize what might be wrong with my betta? I'm not sure I woke up one morning and he had open sores, like scrapes, not raised they are flat, nothing in my tank is sharp, and his back fin had tiny pinholes all along it and it rotted off, his back fin has red bloody spots on the end. He is eating fine and acting pretty normal, most mornings he is aggressive against the glass a little darty, but only in the morning! and I havnt had him too long so I'm not sure if this is normal for him...
everything is going through my brain, I even thought I saw pinholes in his head......I thought hole in the head? or maybe some kind of bacterial fin rot can fin rot come along with these other symptoms I noted?

he has been in salt treatment know for 9 days, hes off tomorrow and it hasn't seemed to help much, his fin is seeming to stay the same though, not any worse but still bloody
ive been doing 25% to 75% water changes every other dayish for 2 weeks know

water is free of ammonia & nitrates'
78 degrees
10 gal
ph is very high 8.2 but he is my 3rd betta and each have done just fine in high ph... so I leave it alone I just use my tap water, my last 2 bettas lived in high ph for 4yrs each, I'm not messing with my ph
he has also had 2 methblue baths hes super hard to catch this one...didn't seem to help much

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Looks like scraped scales, nothing really wrong. Any décor in there that he could catch himself against? Can we see a full shot of your tank?

No worries about the pH, lots of people keep Betta's in high pH.

He was fin biting before, not sure if you knew about that or not, looks like it's healing very well but know that he could potentially do it again down the road as well. It's usually stemmed from stress or becomes a habit after time :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think he may be biting his tail? Good to know i will keep an eye out. I dont think any of his tank accessories are sharp..i have a moss ball, live plant , driftwood and a plastic house. I can only fill my tank up half way cause its leaking somewhere up there?

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
He probably scraped his head on the driftwood or fake wood. You can always use the panty hose test to see if a decoration will tear fins. The best way to heal scrapes is with pwcs every day. He is a very pretty boy though.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I know that log decor is rather sharp on the edges. But I would just leave it in and not worry too much about it. Use StressGuard by SeaChem to help heal his scales. They'll grow back no problem. You can get plants to replace it as he should have some more floating items to swim through and hide. Betta's are experts at gliding between plants ^_^ Get some floating Hornwort and let that float in there, or Water sprite, both would be great plants for him and easy for you!

Yeah, he was definitely biting. He shouldn't have that much reduction in his tail naturally. Plus, you see the whiter edges? That's all regrowth from his biting misadventure. But, hopefully it won't be an issue from here out. Another reason not to change out the log decor at the moment is that it may cause unnecessary stress of changing up his habitat too much. Some fish can stress at that, so best to just leave it and use some other things to help heal him up. A small water change twice a week will help, around 25% should be just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for your helpful remarks, i would have never thought tail biting, he is the first betta ive had that seems to be doing this, ill keep a close eye out and ill check out the products you guys recomended and add some more interesting things for him... thank you so much?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
looks like to me, he has been trying to squeeze in between stuff, they can be silly little fish and try to do this, just make sure you space stuff apart a bit better

1 - 7 of 7 Posts