Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to my version of "This is Your Life." I was looking for a general talk thread or some way to just get to know everyone behind the fish and talk about every day things.

Since I did not see such a thread I decided to make one. I hope you all do not mind.

So everyone please feel free to stop by and talk about whatever is going on in you life or anything on your mind. I can't wait to hear from you all!

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,484 Posts
I came home, the balcony was wet but no raid, so I put some seed out for the birds.
They came, they ate, it started raining again so I took up the food and put it back out during the stoppage in the rain.
Now it's pouring but three of them braved the rain and were standing on the railing all soaked. I feel bad but the food isn't going back out there to get fouled.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well road trips? Sure beat cleaning the gutters. With any luck it will start raining again before I start doing them and then I can clean up the mess I have in the basement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Work work work. The week will be over soon though. I got to get everything ready before college starts back up. When that happens I will not have time to look up.
Will be heading back soon the 26th will be my first day back.

·
Super Moderator
19,263 Posts
Oh, my! They are wonderful! We have a member, @DaceyJ, who has a Siberian.

Fiona and Edward are Shih Tzu; Boo is an English Setter. I did German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue for 25 years. It was so rewarding.

What college? I graduated Cumberland University in TN and Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green.

Love this thread. Hope it gets lots of traffic. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well The gutters are cleaned. LOL But found out who ever put them up didn't pitch them right. the water just lays in them, a good bug nursery. So tomorrow I have to take them down and give them the right pitch. I got to stop working on this house I'm finding too much that is not done right. Well back to getting the basement ready.
That's really common. My father is a 45 year master carpenter and he has had to fix many of them. People forget you need a slope for water to run. Lol
I know when we built my house he taught me a lot of things. I'm no carpenter but I can work on things and luckily still have dad I can ask for help if I get in over my head.

·
Banned
222 Posts
@Daniel1990 re that Husky be still my heart. Growing up my uncle raised them and visiting his huskies was great fun.

On the road to Saratoga for business then to the mountains of NH for hiking that part of the Appalachian trail. Then onward to Canada (haven't figured that part out yet)

Before leaving I found a small spider on the wall - about the size of a small housefly. So I dropped it in the water for the fishy. At first he wasn't sure what it was, then he bumped it (like a shark) causing the spider to hightail it but it disappeared in a flash. The fish just scarfed the whole thing down lol.

BTW biology major here - tend to geek out on all things science, esp the oceans . Tendency towards free thinking and insubordination. 😱

Cool idea to start a non- betta thread!

·
Registered
231 Posts
BTW biology major here - tend to geek out on all things science, esp the oceans . Tendency towards free thinking and insubordination. 😱
Ooh youre a bio major?! I wanna be a vet/biologist when I start college too! Im planning on goinh to csu for veterinary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Daniel1990 re that Husky be still my heart. Growing up my uncle raised them and visiting his huskies was great fun.

On the road to Saratoga for business then to the mountains of NH for hiking that part of the Appalachian trail. Then onward to Canada (haven't figured that part out yet)

Before leaving I found a small spider on the wall - about the size of a small housefly. So I dropped it in the water for the fishy. At first he wasn't sure what it was, then he bumped it (like a shark) causing the spider to hightail it but it disappeared in a flash. The fish just scarfed the whole thing down lol.

Cool idea to start a non- betta thread!
Thank you. I thought this would be a good way to get to know the people behind the fish and I am glad you like the idea.

I hope that school goes well for you and it is not too stressful!

I will try to post pictures often of my little Takota expecting him to get around 70 to 80 lb since that's the weight of his mother and father respectively. He is the first husky I've ever had and will be the largest dog I have ever had lol. I considered getting a second husky but decided training one pup at a time is hard enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ooh youre a bio major?! I wanna be a vet/biologist when I start college too! Im planning on going to csu for veterinary.
Biology is awesome. I have thought about if when I get into the senior college level that I decide biochemistry is not for me I might go into more of a strict biology field such as Forestry/Forest management. The very first thing I wanted to do in school was going to marine biology. I decided against that as the job field has far more people going into it then there is job openings and grants unfortunately.
After that I have done some teacher education classes. About 2 years worth.
I decided I didn't want to be a teacher so then I went into engineering and after working in a manufacturing facility decided I hate machines even if I do have a natural aptitude for running and fixing them. Lol
Because of that natural tendency I got talked into choosing aviation maintenance technology. I excelled in my classes and had a good career paths set for myself. Unfortunately a stroke that come out of nowhere has left me with balance, some superficial nerve damage and fine motor control loss in my right side.
So now on my 5th official Major I am hoping that this time I will be able to stick stick with it and excel in the field.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Biology is awesome. I have thought about if when I get into the senior college level that I decide biochemistry is not for me I might go into more of a strict biology field such as Forestry/Forest management. The very first thing I wanted to do in school was going to marine biology. I decided against that as the job field has far more people going into it then there is job openings and grants unfortunately.
After that I have done some teacher education classes. About 2 years worth.
I decided I didn't want to be a teacher so then I went into engineering and after working in a manufacturing facility decided I hate machines even if I do have a natural aptitude for running and fixing them. Lol
Because of that natural tendency I got talked into choosing aviation maintenance technology. I excelled in my classes and had a good career paths set for myself. Unfortunately a stroke that come out of nowhere has left me with balance, some superficial nerve damage and fine motor control loss in my right side.
So now on my 5th official Major I am hoping that this time I will be able to stick stick with it and excel in the field.

Well good luck with any career you go into! Im not entirely sure what i want to do yet either... i know i want to work with animals but theres all these eeird subclasses for veterinary and i dont fit into just one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't wait for the weekend! I have so much I want to get done. Probably will get like 25% of it done but hey we got to have goals lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I keep thinking I have something exciting to post here and then realise its all betta related😂 no joke bettas ARE my life (until school starts) its actually really sad 😅
It's all good. I mean that is what this site is actually for. Just not this particular section of it LOL.

So on a side note do we have any tattoo enthusiasts here?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well since it's our anniversary My wife and I are taking a little trip to Cleveland tomorrow to the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. Making it a day trip so it should be fun.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Just got back from the Rock & Roll Hall of fame. I have to ask myself was it worth it? From the stand point it was different and I enjoyed the time spent walking threw the Hall. However I wasn't really impressed. I mean it was nice and there was a lot of memorabilia to see But the way it was laid out and put together was a little, Well off. It just didn't really showcase Rocks most talented as it should have.
All this being said My wife and I had a great day together and I am glad we went. Would I recommend it to anyone else? Yes I would but be forewarned It may not be anything like the hype.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Takota and I took a trip to town and did some shopping and then went for a walk.
Found out something though unfortunately.
Takoda I'd super afraid of children. While we was out a group of children come up to see the puppy and he tried taking off down over a bank. Even with me sitting down and holding him trying to comfort him he was so afraid of the children.
I have been around other adults many times and some older children without this kind of response so I do not know what happened in his past to maybe cause this before I got him. But it's definitely something that we are going to have to work on and work on slowly.

On the positive side up until we met the children he was doing exceptional in his leash training and walking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm a retired canine behaviorist and dog trainer. I've seen Takoda's reaction any number of times and it is easily fixable.

Do not try to comfort Takoda. To dogs this is the equivalent of praise for whatever they are feeling at the moment. Instead, ignore the behavior and, in essence, tell him "Get over it, boy." If you are matter of fact he will take his cue from you.

And when you go out take some pieces of cheese or hot dogs. When anyone approaches, especially children, have them offer him the cheese/hot dog; children from the flat of their hand so he can lick the treat and not accidentally nip fingers . Of course, they must be old enough and parents who don't mind.

For some reason, Eb, my German shepherd, became leery of men...right before her Obedience debut where we had two male judges and a Stand for Examination. Yikes! So I took her to Vanderbilt, loaded with hot dogs, and when a student saw us I asked him or her to offer Eb a treat. Took about an hour before she was really happy to see men approach. :)

Got her CD that next weekend with perfect Stands for Examination. Heeling still needed work; but Stands were great!

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot. I appreciate the advice.
I did not know that they would take the attempted comforting like that but now that you mention it it does make sense. I will work on how I react in the moment also.

We have been doing some basic training. What we went out to do with some leash training and he was doing exceptional with that before the incident with the kids. We are also learning sit and stay. Stay so far has been interesting because as long as I look at him as I back off he will stay put but if I turn my back he automatically runs towards me. So we have backed up and started trying to give the treat if he stays if I just turn around.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Great thread!

Having a v relaxed weekend here.
Had a virus the last couple of weeks, which has knocked me for six. Still under the weather, so rationing my energies to dealing with work, the fish and our dogs.

Puppies are exhausting, aren’t they?
We have 2 shih tzus and a pug cross puppy. Fortunately, the pup is getting very good at Fetch and Recall, which means less hard work for me! Haha!

She is simply sparking with energy, isn’t she?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts