Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the archives for a thread like this but I couldn't find it .

So, I started my own thread.

What were some of the alternative names that you wanted to give your betta(s) ?

Why did you give your betta(s) the name you gave it ?

I'll start.

Some alternative names I gave was considering were all Greek heroes or Greek Gods like Apollo , Hercules, Zeus, ect.

I wanted to give my betta a name that was both mythical yet a name that people actually use for their real name. Something that would sound nice.

So, I picked Leo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My mom actually suggested Loki to me when I first pointed out that my new changed colors depending on the lighting. He goes everywhere from dark gray to purple to red to blue.
When she first suggested the name I loved it because I've been studying various mythologies for years and thought naming him for the Norse trickster god who was known for shape shifting was appealing not only because of his color changing, but also that part of what drew me to Loki was him faking me out every time I set his cup down to look at a different fish. She was meaning Loki because "he turned blue in that movie." :p

He was almost named Odin, because of his one eye. The suggestion of Loki made me think of Odin but overall he just isn't serious enough to be an Odin so Loki it was.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Heck I have 5 Bettas right now, but I’ll just share a couple.
Cassian is my white and grey Delta tail, I got his name from a character off of Star Wars: Rouge One. I almost named him Legolas (from lord of the rings) but I had to keep it Cassian, I love that name to much!
And my girl, Amethyst, is a purple, yellow, and white delta tail and is named after, not only the crystal, but a character from my favorite show Steven Universe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
My half-moon male is named Da Vinci. He's blue with a white rim around his tail and white lips. As I was taking name suggestions, my four year old cousin suggested 'Leonardo' because that's the blue ninja turtle. I rolled with it and named him Leonardo da Vinci, but generally refer to him as just Da Vinci. I liked this name a lot because I'm an artist and like that it's an artists name, and I also like that my sweet little cousin got to help me name him. I'm hoping to get a yellow better in the future and call him Van Gogh (because of the whole yellow paint thing). I think I'll be naming all of my fish arty names from here on out :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have three bettas, and here's a quixk summary of how they all got their names c:
Rodge - I was very obsessed with a Youtuber Brandon Rodgers at the time, and I wanted to name him off of him somehow. I don't really like the name Brandon, or Rodger, so Rodge ended up being his name c: (think this was about the time #notmyrodrick was happening too, might've been a factor lol)
Tarou - The name means 'big' from what I am aware of, I knew I was getting a twin tail halfmoon and his tail would be huge, so there we go!
Jupiter - I knew I wanted to name him something mythological or planet-related. He was going to be Venus, but when my friend offered the name Jupiter, I knew it was meant to be!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Daisy—blue crown-tail female. The name just popped in my head after watching her antics.

Poldark—metallic blue comb-tail. Love those PBS shows! If you've watched it and like smoldering Aidan Turner, you'll know why.

Flynn Finn—My lavender EE. Very active and friendly. He has a Nemo gimp fin, which I didn't notice in the store, but he is still pretty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A Boy Named Sue (blue veiltail boy).
Akiko/Aki (blue & red half moon girl).
Ruby Tuesday (white & red Crowntail girl).
The Crimson Ghost (red veiltail boy).
Hattori Hanzo (Black & red Crowntail boy).
The Thin White Duke (blue, purple & white grizzle twin-tail half moon boy).
Varuna/V (white & red longfin dragon scale).
Cherie (silver half moon girl).
Suzi (red & purple veiltail girl).
Lita (red veiltail girl).
Joan (blue & black veiltail girl).

I don't know how half these names happened. Ghost is an easy one - He's bright red. The Crimson Ghost was a 1940s sci-fi film & also the name of the mascot for the band The Misfits.

Hanzo just looked like a samurai fish & loves to flare & show off.

I'm told one translation of 'aki' in Japanese is "sparkle" - when I got her she had some silvery shine under the blue... It's mostly gone now that she's matured, but she may have the marble gene. I see little white spots & black spots coming & going. Oh, also, if you add the suffix '-ko' to a Japanese word or name it means "little" so "Aki" might mean sparkle & "Akiko" means little sparkle OR Little Aki, since Aki is also a feminine name. Like Autumn.

The Thin White Duke, or just Duke, honors David Bowie.

Varuna, I call him V. V is the Roman numeral for 5, & Varuna was the 5th Betta boy I got. Varuna is also a Hindu water god & a master of rebirth. This Betta was a rescue. He had SBD & had been tail-biting at the big-box LFS, so when he came home with me he was quite literally reborn: a new life, a total change. He's one of the happiest fish I've ever seen.

4 of the girls in the sorority are named for the band The Runaways (Suzi Quatro, Joan Jett, Lita Ford, Cherie Currie), & there's something about their looks that links them to their namesake. For example Lita is all red, & Lita Ford is known for her red B.C. Rich Warlock guitar from the 1980s.

There are reasons for all their names, I guess... many of them are music-related. I mean, Sue. A Boy. A Boy Named Sue. It's a Johnny Cash song!

·
Registered
74 Posts
i've owned 13 bettas, (currently just one, may be getting another next week) here are the names i can remember
Ember- named because a red glowing collour
Fuschia- the colour she was
Flair renamed Jaws- was called Flair as a pun was renamed Jaws becuse she attacked every one
Marguerite- named because it means pearl and she was white
Kaida- means little dragon. Named because she looked like a Chinese celestial dragon (the name is Japanese though, not Chinese)
Lilac- the colour she was
Zoey- just liked the name
Primrose 'Prim'- after the character from the Hunger Games
Philomena- after the saint

·
Registered
29 Posts
My current two boys are named:
- Narong for a hmpk orange/copper marble (according to google, it is a male thai name that means "One who always creates war or is ready for war.")
Since they come from Thailand and that little beast was flaring at me when he was still in the bag (the water was so chilly I feared for their lives.. I ordered catappa leaves from my transhipper and he put it inbetween the heat pack and the bettas, over the newspaper layer... Heat pack was super warm, betta's water was cold.)

-Niran for a giant hmpk red copper (which means "The one who is everlasting and never ending" in thai ) I thought about naming him Drogon, which is the largest of the Daenery's dragons in game of thrones and is black and red, but I went for the name that fitted the theme better. We joke with my boyfriend that we should name him "Niran, eater of all" because he tries to eat everything he stumbles upon even though I feel like I'm feeding him a huge amount of food already.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I named my little dude Turd Ferguson, after an old SNL skit my hubby and I like to quote. Also because he poops on my plants.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Vanilla - (plat. white HMPK) he reminds me of vanilla ice cream.
Duke (blue grizzle VT) - In honour of Duke Ellington.
Primavera (green pastel EEF) - She reminds me of springtime with all her fluttering about <3
Arachne (HMPK Koi F) - Honestly I don't know. But she's a koi and her current pattern reminds me of a spider web.
Shish (orange pastel butterfly VT) - I'm not sure why, except that he looks like he should be named it.
Raku (copper orange DDRCT) - He's named after a type of pottery that is fired at over 1000 degrees and he looks like a little flaming coal, so.

·
Registered
53 Posts
3 males #1 purplish VT Jaxon named after Jax on Sons of Anarchy no nonsense,#2 is ared white and blue EEHMPK Spud since he's small as a potato spud, #3 red white and blue EEHM Fancy Dancer because he won't stop dancing at front of tank till i put my finger in for him to nop then my 4yr old daughters sorority of 9 females #1 gold ct Princess Alice,#2 blue ct Bella,#3 red white and blue ct Squirrel Bait (She's nutz), #4 red hm i call Wolf Bait (but name is really Little Red Riding Hood), #5 red,white and blue vt Lilly, #6 blue hmpk Big Blue, #7 black white dragon scale HM Lovey, #8 white with red tail with white stripes in it HM Sparky due to her tail looking like it's bursting like sparks, #9 red tail and pink body ct Queenie because she's alpha of tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have 3 more since the last time I posted... haven't named them yet. A black, purple & teal female halfmoon, a purple, white, green, pink & black (!) Male veiltail, & a male fry so young you can't tell what he's going to look like. He's white body/red fins so far & gobbling frozen brine shrimp & bloodworm pieces 3 times a day.

I don't know about names... although the veil boy may end up with a David Bowie related name like Duke did. Something about his colors reminds me of Bowie's super colorful Ziggy Stardust outfits. I'm thinking Pele for the new girl.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine are named Valentino (he's a red feather tail and looks like a valentine), Jane, Bertie (she's big, a "queen" blue and red, so she needed a big girl name), Fishsticks, Sparkletus (a play on Spartacus for a sparkly HM I have), Thunder (he was orange, blue, and white like the OKC Thunder basketball team), Raider (the mascot at the college I work at; he's the school colors), and Hank Voight - pictured below - who is named after the sergeant on Chicago PD who always wears black and is really tough.

·
Registered
35 Posts
She's definitely Pele now. The baby boy is getting very active & friendly - he's only been with me 4 days & he's already greeting regularly even without food & following me when I move around his tank. I still haven't named the purple boy.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Denny, my magenta VT, was my first betta. I couldn't think of a name, but as I was driving home I saw a Denny's Drive Thru sign. The light was hitting him just right so he glowed red, matching the lettering on the sign, and I thought, hmm, Denny. That's a good name for this little guy. I couldn't stop thinking of him as Denny after that, so the name just stuck.

I am a Harry Potter fan (the books, not the movies), so I wanted to name Asteria something Harry Potter related. I started thinking of names I liked, and came up with Astoria (Draco Malfoy's wife). I didn't necessarily want to name my fish after Astoria Greengrass, though, so I changed the o to an e. Alastor, my tiger nerite snail in Asteria's tank, is named after Alastor (Mad-Eye) Moody, because snails sort of have magical eyes they can swivel around.

When I got Glenn, I figured I'd try the Denny tactic and look at street signs for names. I passed Glen Road, and I figured the name fit him. I added and extra n, just to alter it a little bit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My Betta's name is Aether. I wanted to give him a greek or roman god's name, so i looked up minor greek gods, and that particular website Aether roughly means "light" in greek or latin (can't remember which). (He's a white betta with a metallic like colors of blue and green. He also has a few cute little dark blue spots on his almost invisible pectoral fins) I don't know if that information is true, but the name stuck :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts