Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

Registered
I named my first boy Piras after the main character in a webcomic I really like. The main character is a redhead who is kind of vain and likes to show off, which is exactly what my boy is like 馃槃 (the comic is called Awaken, and is a sci fi/fantasy comic with cool monsters and really awesome world building, so please check it out if you like comics!)

I named Snoopy after the Peanuts character, mostly because of his spots. But he also kind of gave me a sad look the first week when we we're figuring out what food he would eat that reminds me of the sad eyes my sister's dog gives me when I'm not getting him lol. I started calling Snoopy puppy as a nickname

My girls are Mercury, Jupiter, Neptune, Serenity, Venus, and Artemis. I named the first five based on the Sailor Scouts from Sailor Moon because I originally was going to make my 20 gallon a sorority, and wanted them to have names based on a theme. But after doing more research I decided not to do a sorority, especially since my girls are unrelated and different ages. Plus I don't think Mercury and Serenity would do well in sorority because they're both very feisty, and I know from accidentally allowing Serenity to hop into Jupiter's side of the tank that she is quite agressive.

Artemis' name comes from her color, since she is white with a faint overlay of iridescence all over. I think she's an attempt at an opaque white, since she has a bit of opaque on her head, but her body is close to cellophane. She also has larger pectorals, so she flutters around the 20 gallon looking like the moon. Artemis is the Greek goddess who is associated with the moon and also hunting, so it's a perfect name for a betta 馃槃

Registered
My current betta is called Helios. Named after the ancient greek god and personification of the sun due to his yellow and white coloring!

Registered
Youngest sons veiltail is called torch because he's red....

Wife's EE is called Mistoffelees after Magic Mr Mistoffelees from CATS because like the cat he seems to disappear and reappear out of nowhere!

My girl is called Lucy ,no real reason other than it seems to suit her.

Registered
My male is named Aktium after a water park ride . My baby is named Corsair - no reason
My girls are named Fenella ( I really like the sound of it and it fits her ), Fortuna (she was a rescue and it means good luck in Italian), London (I recently had visited London ), Lia (I like the sound of it and it fits her ),Pumpkin (she鈥檚 completely orange), Selena (I liked the sound of it and it fits her) , Alia ( I was looking for names for her and the autocorrect put the name Alia there so it was a sign ) and Serendipity ... well her name is Serendipity because I went to the store looking for a red female crowntail
and they delivered right in that moment . I foundher while looking for something else 馃檪 the store owner didn鈥檛 even want to sell her because she had just arrived

Registered
My past bettas were pretty much all named from the game World of Warcraft : Leroy (referencing Lerrroooooy Jennnnkiiins!), Khadgar, Chen, Wrynn, and Carlin. I also had a small sorority where most of the ladies were named referencing World of Warcraft: Sylvie (short for Sylvanaas) Lex (short for Alexstraaza), Rhea, Lemon and Queenie.

Currently I have only one betta boy, my pretty boy Stan. Why? Well, just because. :)

Registered
My purple-blue girl's name is Nymeria, because I love Game of Thrones and it's a semi-obscure but beautiful name from it. My blue boy I adopted because he had some major bloat (still does, we're working on curing him) and thought he would die and wanted him to die somewhere nicer than a pet store cup, but I named him Atlas because of the great blue sphere of weight he carries around.

Registered
Lieutenant Dan. When I was growing up our class had a pet betta that my friend and I called Bubba Gump from the fictional shrimp company in, you guessed it, Forrest Gump. So I decided to carry on the theme, and it gives me an excuse to make random movie quotes. I sometimes tell my betta that I got him icecream in my best Forrest voice. Because I'm not strange. And my husband often reminds Lieutenant Dan he has no legs, because he's not strange either.

Registered
I named my husband's and my first betta. He was a dark blue rosetail with red ventral fins. He was such a cutie. Very peaceful and mellow too. I named him "Le-Wei" (Pronounced Lee-Way) because it's a male Chinese name meaning. "Beautiful Rose." My husband laughed and said it worked on two levels because the only reason we got him is that my husband gave me too much leeway. Haha
Our current betta, my husband named "DaVinci." I think it's very fitting since he has bright blues and bold red and his fins looked like brush strokes. He's a little masterpiece for sure.

Registered
I currently have 3 betta's (just purchased a set up to get 2 more woot!) and have a theme I plan to stick with for all my bettas in my life.

So Armin was my first (his full name is Armin Van Betta - after Armin Van Buuren the dj). Then I got Garrix (named after Martin Garrix, the dj) and lastly Mako (named after Mako - the dj/edm artist). Trying to figure out the names for my next two but gonna wait to see what I end up getting first ^_^

So yeah....my theme is dj/edm artists xD

Registered
So the purple veiltail boy ended up being named Rebel Rebel 馃槃 still no name for the baby boy, but he's growing so fast it's crazy.

I ended up upgrading the sorority tank to a 20L & got some new girls for it, including 2 adoptions from a friend at work who felt bad for his girls after taking on a second job 馃槙 lacking the time to care for them he asked if I'd take them in & I immediately agreed (I have spare tanks in case the sorority didn't work out).

So I have 2 new half moon girls, one black & blue, the other black & super dark purple 馃檪 I haven't named the blue girl yet but the purple girl has been tentatively named Jimi. Because of Hendrix's Purple Haze.

Then the other new girls are a silver & white dumbo half moon I named Grace (Grace Slick) & a beautiful piebald white/silver half moon with the brightest blue eyes. So I named her Frankie Sinatra.

The sorority got a ghost shrimp I didn't even think I was going to name... luckily I did not. He was eaten less than 3 hours later. The guilty culprits were Ruby, Pele & Lita.

Photos: Grace, Frankie & the baby boy being a wiggle-butt.

Attachments

Registered
My current rescue is Mystery and I named him that because
1. I honestly just didn't know what to name him
2. I didn't know what was going to happen to him
3. The seahorse from SpongeBob in that one episode lol

I was considering Mr. puff but I decided against it because then with my luck he would get dropsy and look like ms. puff lol

My next rescue I've already decided is gonna be Fawkes because in harry potter, Fawkes is a phoenix and rises from its ashes and comes alive again. I think its cool for a rescue but maybe I'm just obsessed with harry potter

Registered
So the two adoptions are doing great in the sorority - growing fast & playing with the other girl's. I named the purple & black girl Jimi & was at a loss for what to call the blue girl. After reading some Lao websites I decided to call her Sifa, which is Laotian for "blue"... so creative. 馃槙

Still no name for the red baby boy.

Registered
I have a little guy that it took me three days to name. His name is Beo.
My roommate suggested Feo because it's Spanish for "ugly" and he is a truly ugly little fellow (I love him so much!), and I loved the sound of it but not the meaning. Part of why I liked it is that it reminds me Beo, as in Beowulf, and next thing I know he's named Beo! He's a fearless little guy and it fits him so well. :)

Registered
I have never named my fishes before but, after reading this thread will reconsider naming my two bettas. I'll let you know.

Registered
I hope this thread hasn't decayed enough for it to be a bad thing that I am posting on it.

But I originally was going to name my little guy Sepharoth. I am a gamer and all my pets have been named after video game characters. But within the first 48 hours after having my guy home, I kept calling him "L'il Buddy" so his name ended up becoming Buddy.

Registered
My Betta is named Lucky. I found him, in of all places a "Discount Home Goods" store, in New Haven, CT. Four days before, I had left rehab, and moved into a sober house. I was furnishing my room, which brought me to the store. This place thought it was OK to sell Betta fish as "home decor"! There were 5 cups there... Not even deli cups, like at major chain pet stores. These fish were in cups like shot glasses. I was horrified! 2 were dead, 2 were swimming sideways, but one very plain blue/black trooper was still upright and though his fins drooped far below his belly... He was alive, with only a tiny bit of fun rot. I told him
"Today is your lucky day!"
So with six shopping bags hanging off my arms, to my room we went. I quickly got on a popular shopping website, and got medicine, a 2.5 g. tank, and some plants and got Lucky set up.
Later that week, I stood outside the store with a petition sheet asking the store to stop selling fish. I succeeded in getting over 100 signatures of people pledging to boycott the store, if they continued to sell live animals, and assured the store owner I would not desist. HE AGREED TO STOP SELLING THE FISH! Yay!
Lucky is the smartest fish I ever met. He is not only trained to give kisses (through the glass), but will choose to give affection to me, BEFORE he eats, even with food already in the water. He is also very, weirdly, passive. His own image in a mirror, he looks at, tucks his fins, and hides.
I have since, left the sober house (due to it not being so sober....). Yep. I'm homeless. I couch surf, and sleep outdoors. LUCKY IS STILL WITH ME. He now hangs in a container with a lid, that I carry around with me. The stress of homeless living would kill many a small pet, but every day, Lucky is there for me, and I for him. He's my best friend in the world, and he gives me a reason to keep going, no matter what, because I want him to be happy.
I'm really the lucky one.

Registered
I have four Bettas. All of them are females.

So I am really in to Greek Mythology, so I decided to name them after Goddesses. Although one is named after a Latin Goddess. Their names are Luna, Celestia, Calypso, and Cassi(Cassiopia). Luna is an elephant ear, and I'm pretty sure the others are crowntail. They are my 10 gallon sorority.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts