Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I cleaned Twpsyn's tank this morning (50/50 change) and after a while this white fuzz popped up on the rocks/gravel. Any idea what it is and how I might be able to prevent it next time?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Holy....

I have no idea what that is, but I think you should do a 100% water change and scrub down the decor (without soap! Just some piping hot water and a good scrubber). Is your filter working? Heater?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to make this post with my phone was very difficult, sorry about the giant picture for those who saw it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ps, heater working great, no filter as he's in an office environment and a loud hum, buzz may disturb others working.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did another water change but did a 90%. So far the fuzz isn't nearly as bad. There's still a thin layer on the larger rocks, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
It could be fungus. That's my first impression. I've seen something like that in the tanks of people doing a fishless cycle with fish food or dead shrimp. If the tank isn't cycled, I would remove everything and wash it all in hot hot water.

It doesn't look green so I doubt it is algae.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have that exact same gravel, and I had that exact same fuzz in my 2.5 gal after I took my ghost shrimp out of it and the water sat. I had no idea what it was ever, I just rinsed it in piping hot water. I haven't used the gravel again yet either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have that exact same gravel, and I had that exact same fuzz in my 2.5 gal after I took my ghost shrimp out of it and the water sat. I had no idea what it was ever, I just rinsed it in piping hot water. I haven't used the gravel again yet either.
What are you using now? I've seen sand, but if that keeps happening I feel like it'd be even harder to clean. I also have a 2.5 gallon in this case.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm actually not even using the tank the gravel was in right now. I covered the bottom of my tank with like black river rocks from the store. I have a biorb tank so I really just use the rocks as decoration and to anchor the plants down. If your going to use the gravel, use hothot water and rise the gravel really well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts