Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen that too much flaring is when thhe betta gets stressed out.

However, if the betta does bouts of flaring with no ill effect afterwards, is that okay?

Somehow Buddha is seeing his own reflection and I don't know whats causing it. But he doesn't seem to be ill affected from it.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
I've found that when bettas are constantly flaring at things whether it be their reflection, another fish, or they're in view of another betta, they will eventually stop flaring. Though this doesn't mean they will stop being aggressive.

And to answer your question, yes. It's okay. My fish are constantly flaring, but have No effect on their health. It actually helps a bloated betta to pass their poop.

I've seen that too much flaring is when thhe betta gets stressed out.

However, if the betta does bouts of flaring with no ill effect afterwards, is that okay?

Somehow Buddha is seeing his own reflection and I don't know whats causing it. But he doesn't seem to be ill affected from it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a 10gal tank, divided into 3. My Betta's flare, every so often. They are now used to each other but still tend to flare. I heard a few minutes every day is actually healthy for them. I also have another Betta by himself who sees his reflection all the time. They arent sick or anything.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Just a note, I had my tank divided with a CLEAR divider, and both bettas stopped flaring after a while, but Josh began tail biting. I replaced it with a black mesh and he stopped soon after. Even though they don't SEEM to have any effects, they may began displaying different behavior. It all comes down to the individual fish.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the delay!
And he's more or less flaring at his reflection, I think. It's definitely not the marbles. I can't really examine him because if he sees me in the room, he gets all happy.

I just find it odd because he flared for the first time only a few weeks ago (which is where my avatar is from). Other than that, he would only raise his gills, but now he full on flares.

Maybe somethig awoke in him haha

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Sorry for the delay!
And he's more or less flaring at his reflection, I think. It's definitely not the marbles. I can't really examine him because if he sees me in the room, he gets all happy.

I just find it odd because he flared for the first time only a few weeks ago (which is where my avatar is from). Other than that, he would only raise his gills, but now he full on flares.

Maybe somethig awoke in him haha
Spike used to flare at his reflection alot. Now he has toned down quite a bit. He still flares. But not as much as when he just got home.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
some bettas leave their fins flared out in good living conditions.
Indeed.
I remember when I first got buddha he was always clamped up.
Now he swims with his fins out a lot more, and I'm happy. I wasn't aware until I came back on here about a month ago that he was clamped up.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Theres a difference between holding his fins out and flaring, that difference being one stresses him out and the other doesn't.

Like a person with his head held high, chest out in confidence, versus one with his head held high and chest out with an intention to cause fear.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Yes..I think its every fishys different personality..Sammy flarez with such enthusiasm..its normal for him..he dont need a mirror..lol..but as long as there are no ill effects..I hear its great excersize..andthey get used to flaring to show thier exitement to see yu ..or at feeding time!!

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Theres a difference between holding his fins out and flaring, that difference being one stresses him out and the other doesn't.

Like a person with his head held high, chest out in confidence, versus one with his head held high and chest out with an intention to cause fear.
Flaring doesn't really cause stress. IF done too often(24/7 often) then it could cause stress.
Flaring is a very healthy exercise. Much like it is very health for us to run. But like wise if you run too much you can do more harm than good to yourself.
The difference between holding their fins out and flaring isn't always stress. 99.9% of the time I see a betta holing his fins open is when he is stopped/just "floating" there.

On a side note, I HAVE seen some bettas swim with their fins open and obviously not flaring. but they often don't do that because it is harder for them to swim with their fins fully open.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buddha often holds his fins open when staying still.
But he looks a lot different when he's flaring.
The profile pic I have is him flaring.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Yea..the new one in my Avi is Sammy opening his fins..I havent got a good pic yet of him flaring:)cannot wait until I can!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts