Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How'd did u get introduced and fall in love with bettas?

My first betta was a really awesome red and dark blue male named April(don't ask:oops:) He died after 6 months of me having him. I was really sad and decided i never wanted another fish again. Didn't last, a few years later i got my second a light blue male named Elvis who died 3 weeks later from parasites. Now i have Amare a Cambodian(i think?) male who stolen my heart. What about u?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I got into bettas because I was searching the petco site for fish accessories because I had a 20% off coupon. After looking through the site I thought of getting a betta. Then I came here to this site. After gaining a plethora of knowledge, I got a betta and would love to start a sorority and possibly start breeding in the future. They are truly beautiful fish.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally agree and there even more beautiful in the tanks of people who know how and want to take care of them. U sound like u really love them. Pics?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well, few years back, one night after a nice dinner and hockey game, went to Wal-Mart. Mom was really picky about pets, but me and the brother always went to the fish section. After about 20 minutes of begging, the parents gave in, and we were on our way home with 2 1gallon fish tanks, some conditioner, a few plants, and a red male and a blue male... both veils. A year and a half later they both died a week apart from eachother :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, few years back, one night after a nice dinner and hockey game, went to Wal-Mart. Mom was really picky about pets, but me and the brother always went to the fish section. After about 20 minutes of begging, the parents gave in, and we were on our way home with 2 1gallon fish tanks, some conditioner, a few plants, and a red male and a blue male... both veils. A year and a half later they both died a week apart from eachother :(
Took me years to convince my parents:lol:

·
Registered
562 Posts
My bf and I were talking about setting up an aquarium and we were in walmart checking out potential decor and aquariums and I saw these pretty little bettas there and I expressed how pretty I thought the bettas were. One day he calls me and says "this is going to spoil the surprise, but if I get you a betta, would you prefer red or blue" (those were the two colors I had been drawn to)? Needless to say, I came home from class, to find a betta floating in a little 1 gal aquarium, and I have since upgraded him to a 3.5 gal.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I first heard of bettas when i was 8 but thought they were a very expensive very rare fish to get here in canada lol how could i have known when i grew up on a farm where the closest neighbours were a 20 minute walk down the dirt road and nothing but trees in-between lol needless to say in 2004 i finally decided to go to the local pet store to browse, looked over the birds and rodents and reptiles and spiders lol finally coming to the huge wall of tanks. There were the gold fish, guppies, piranhas, gars, salt water fish, snails, shrimps, and then there they were ...... my blessing and my curse .... I talked to one of the workers, asked about them, the typical questions with the usual answers, then walked home in a daze. Following morning after taking my oldest to school i went back to the pet store looked over their tanks and seen the sign "Free betta with purchase of so and so tank kit" walked over to the bettas and looked at what there were, usual vt and not much else. Picked out two kits and went to the checkout, the worker asked if i wanted help picking out the bettas so we went back and picked out a pretty pinkish red vt and black faced blue vt. I knew from that day on I was cursed lol and havent looked back since.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I first heard of bettas when i was 8 but thought they were a very expensive very rare fish to get here in canada lol how could i have known when i grew up on a farm where the closest neighbours were a 20 minute walk down the dirt road and nothing but trees in-between lol needless to say in 2004 i finally decided to go to the local pet store to browse, looked over the birds and rodents and reptiles and spiders lol finally coming to the huge wall of tanks. There were the gold fish, guppies, piranhas, gars, salt water fish, snails, shrimps, and then there they were ...... my blessing and my curse .... I talked to one of the workers, asked about them, the typical questions with the usual answers, then walked home in a daze. Following morning after taking my oldest to school i went back to the pet store looked over their tanks and seen the sign "Free betta with purchase of so and so tank kit" walked over to the bettas and looked at what there were, usual vt and not much else. Picked out two kits and went to the checkout, the worker asked if i wanted help picking out the bettas so we went back and picked out a pretty pinkish red vt and black faced blue vt. I knew from that day on I was cursed lol and havent looked back since.
lol Bettas are like potato chips can't have just 1 and can't live without 1

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My bf and I were talking about setting up an aquarium and we were in walmart checking out potential decor and aquariums and I saw these pretty little bettas there and I expressed how pretty I thought the bettas were. One day he calls me and says "this is going to spoil the surprise, but if I get you a betta, would you prefer red or blue" (those were the two colors I had been drawn to)? Needless to say, I came home from class, to find a betta floating in a little 1 gal aquarium, and I have since upgraded him to a 3.5 gal.
Your aquarium and fish sound nice. Pics, name?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well my family has always been a fish-family. One day with my friend Kendall, we decided to eat at Panera Bread. Nextdoor, Petco was calling our names so we went in. I thought about it and wanted to get a betta fish! My mom said yes, so we both got one. I picked out a girl with a beautiful blue hue and red splash on her anal and tail fins. Unfortunately at first I was poorly educated, and had Lulu (female veiltale) in a half gallon case.
Thankfully, I stumbled upon this site the following day and begged my mom to take me to Walmart for a REAL tank. I had Lulu in a 1.5 which was pretty good because she's small. However, I've now placed her in a 10 gal community, and I have Charlie (Red salamander HM) in a 2.5 gallon :D

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I was walking around Petco and saw the king bettas, I was intrigued and never before had I had I cared for bettas at all. Now look at me lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
My story is a lengthy one so I'll try to keep it to the point! LOL

I first saw a betta fish when my mom came home from work one day with a vase with a royal blue veil tail betta and a peace lilly plant. I was very young, probably between 8-10 years old. We named him Azul (blue in spanish) and called him Ahzy for short. Well unfortunately he died two weeks later as we had no idea how to care for this poor creature and the piece of paper that she was given with the setup said something of the effect that the fish eats the plant roots and the plant cleans the water... so we didn't know. Once he died and we did a little more research about proper care we got a new fish at a LPS and that one was also a royal blue VT male. My mom wanted to name him "Ahzy Dos" like dos as in 2 in spanish... lol I refused. I said he needed his own name. So we named him Pez! <3 Little Pez lived in that vase with frequent water changes and daily feedings for over 4 years. We loved him to death and were very sad to see him go. Since then my mom had a few more bettas in the vase (it was a huge vase by the way, almost a full gallon) and then I turned 18 and started working at Petco. LOL I worked in the grooming salon for 2 years but would come out onto the floor and help out when the grooming was slow. I started helping to do fish maintenance and quickly fell back in love with the bettas!

I purchased Peau (pronounced Poe, like Beau, lol) and he was my first official betta! I had him in a nice sized critter tank and I took wonderful care of him. He lived to be 5. In the time I had him I had acquired a few more as well. I had some females and a few more males. I even had a nice Mustard Gas HM male when Petco first started carrying them. I was obsessed back then. I then moved out on my own for the first time. Renting a room on a horse farm in RI, I was able to have pets so I had a few bettas there with me. At one point i had a few divided tanks. I had some really nice fish. Unfortunately the CD with most of their pictures on it was lost/broken and I can't remember most of their names (been so long!)

Then I moved back home and met my Husband. We fell in love, eventually moved in together and I asked him if I could rescue a betta. Someone had dropped a nice big red butterfly male at the new LPS I had started working at and I wanted to take him. So he said yes and I brought "Bruce Fishinson" home. My Hubby and I were married a year and a half ago. Bruce is now at my mom's house living in her new large hand blown glass fish bowl (about 2 gallon size) and he's an elderly man at over 3 years old. Then we moved to our first apartment as a married couple a year ago this month. I got Shruikan this past fall and fell in love with bettas again. I now have 12 and plan to breed and am full blown betta obsessed again! It feels so great!

This is Peau. He will forever be the best little cambodian VT man!! I miss him so much! <3

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I had my rats after years of begging and tons of research, but I wanted a little fish to sit on my desk next to me while I worked. A couple of years before I'd had a goldfish (lived about two years and got to maybe 5 inches, poor thing...due to my total lack of research :(), but after having researched so much for my ratties I had a better idea of what preparation was needed for a pet. I did a bucketload of research and discovered that Pet's Paradise was lying to me, and no, they won't happily live in a drinking cup.

I set up a 3.8 gallon tank with a filter and a heater, a java fern and a terracotta pot with an anubias in it that made a beautiful home and bought little Felix, a green and red VT. Sadly, he was sick when I bought him and died the following day.

I started to trawl the classifieds and found a secondhand 5 gallon with a bundle of chemicals, a heater, a filter, decorations, gravel, food and a beautiful little pink and purple female for $90 (that's cheap for here). I called her Aphrodite and had her until her death 8 months later. After that, I got Athena, my badass blue and red VT girl. I later upgraded to my 16 gallon after rescuing two guppies, then had to set the 5 gal up again to rescue a VT male (also pink and purple) who became Apollo.
After Athena's death I got my sorority girls (yay!) and when Apollo very sadly died I got Odysseus, my stunning white halfmoon. :D

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'm still in the first chapter of my betta story. Two weeks ago last saturday, I went into the newest pet store in town for the first time with my 3 year old sister. we wandered around, looking at cat collars and such. Then we rounded a corner and saw the bettas. i kneeled down, and looked at them all, when I spotted Swish. My sister was talking about the purple fish, and they were lovely, but Swish won me over. i wanted him bad. my parents said no at first, and like, i was heart broken even though i'd never had a fish before nor knew anything about them. mom realized how upset i was, and said "well fine. we'll ask your dad."and he was like "sure, but think about it."

i found a few websites that gave me the basics, and then rand out to my car and booked it to walmart to get a tank and then to petsense for Swish.

a week and a half later, i picked Reuban, who is small and i'm pretty sure a juvenile still, and a pain who plays dead and holds still, but i love him a lot too. Though Swish has a special place in my heart :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lucky i wish i could have a tank that big. I have my baby Amare in a 5 gallon

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
My story is a little comical. Fish keeping was supposed to be my fiance's hobby. He told me he wanted fish and said he was going to take care of them. They quickly became my fish and he doesn't do anything but lift stuff occasionally. We went from one to a dozen bettas in no time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was 10 and I wanted a fish soo bad. (I don't know why) but I went to the store and I really liked the goldfish! We bought a 1 gallon tank for it but when we walked up to the lady she told me I couldn't get a gold fish because the need atleast a 20 gallon tank. I was so mad she made me get a betta! I wasn't into the fancy fins and I was very picky. (Basically I was really stuborn) lol anyways I bought a small red viel-tail female because it look the closest to a gold fish. That fish lived for 2 years. She died (2/2/12) of fungus that I couldn't get rid of. A few weeks after she died I now have a new plakat male that is in a 2 gollon tank but is being moved to a 10 gallon friday! :D I now prefur bettas over goldfish and have learned to like the longed finned ones. I'm officially hooked, thanks to the store lady who made me get a betta! :lol:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
When I was little we had a pond outside and we filled it with small goldfish every year. One made it and lasted the winter I had really liked that fish. it was really small and lived in the one gallon till it was time to go outside. I remember how proud I was of the fish for making it through the winter when none of the others had lol

I have always loved animals though fish hadn't ever really appealed to me I have always wanted hamsters, guinea pigs..etc. But my parents said no. We lived in an rv for a few years and the only pets I could have were the 2 cats. So when we finally moved into a house for good and I knew I couldn't have rodents I decided I wanted a fish tank. I was 16 at the time. My parents could not figure out why, but they agreed. So my original plan was neon tetras. I was looking at them at walmart and was attracted to the bright colors. At this time I assumed betta's only came in blue and red and wasn't overly fond of them. But then I was with my mom and looking at the fish and fish tank stuff and I saw the betta's. I thought they were very pretty and I was intrigued by the idea that I could have 2 betta's and put them in those small divided containers. It was much cheaper than a ten gallon for some tetras. But at the same time they seemed small. Well thankfully I didn't buy the fish that day. Being I had never owned betta's before I wanted to do some research. That is one thing I do without fail before I get pets I research until I learn as much as I can about them. So I wandered the web and came upon this site. I asked lots of questions and then went back to walmart picked up a 3 gallon tank, plants and a heater. Then I set everything up. I was a little nervous as I knew I need the right water quality and stuff so I took my water to get tested and it came out fine. I was still nervous as I didn't want to kill my fish the first day. So I went to petsmart and looked and all I remember is this betta I fell in love with him. I can't remember what he looked like though, but I still regret not getting him. Anyways went back a few days later after I was confident about my water and got a multi colored ct male. Many would probably have considered him ugly, but to me he was beautiful and I had a very strong connection with him. I saw him and knew he was mine. Needless to say less then a month later I had my second fish a ct female. My first guy lived to be 1 1/2 my female i going onto 2 years!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
We bought a 1 gallon tank for it but when we walked up to the lady she told me I couldn't get a gold fish because the need atleast a 20 gallon tank.
It's so nice to hear a petshop person knew what she was talking about! :) She stopped you being yet another one of us who keeps a goldfish in too small a tank and ends up killing them through ignorance. Good on her. Plus, she got you into the betta hobby. :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts