Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! So before I started reading the threads on here I thought I knew a decent amount about bettas, but not as much as the owners on here, so I signed up.

Anyway onto the reason we're on this thread.
This is Clyde, he's a three year old crown tail and my first ever fish. Recently I noticed he has stopped swimming and stays at the bottom of his tank resting. He goes up to the top for air and food, occasionally moving to a new spot. No real loss of color except in his pelvic fins, they aren't bright red anymore. I'm wondering if he's sick/old or if I'm doing something wrong. Hopefully one of you guys can tell me.

Housing: Living world small pals pen 3.3g
Filter? Yes
Heater? Yes
Temperature is 80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Elive betta filter.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
none

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Aqueon Betta Fish Food
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
Three pellets each day.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Weekly
What percentage of water did you change?
50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
I'd pour it out, but I'm planning on upgrading his tank and getting a vacuum ect.
What additives do you use?
Conditioner
Water Parameters:
I don't have exact numbers & petsmart isn't open but I took pictures from the kit I just got so you decide.

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: Kind of hard to tell, between 7.8 - 8.2
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?

A week ago.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
None
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Slowing down
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
I'm going to wait till this post gets answered before I do anything.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
None
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
Three years. Generally healthy.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
His tummy looks huge in the fourth pic. Is nothing wrong except that he's slowing down? Because old bettas slow down and three years is the average for petstore bettas (I think). I don't think you're over feeding him though. Give him some daphnia, no peas to help him clear his stomach up. Is he pooping regularly? I feel like his eyes are sort of big but then again I overreact about eyeball size a lot.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yep, feed daphnia. If you can't, try starving him until his stomach goes down a bit, but don't not feed him for over a week. They'll be fine for three weeks though. I just personally don't feel comfortable with starving them for long periods of time. Hikari sells frozen daphnia and you can also find live daphnia on ebay, amazon, and aquabid.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah. It all depends on what environment they're in. They usually live from 3-5 years with proper care. They turn duller (mine turned gray where they had been black and their blue looked washed out). They just don't have much energy I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts