Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Betta Fish for nearly a year. For a month or so she's had this bumb and it hasn't gone away.

Temp Average: 65- 70 I have a heater but it's horrible and I can't get a new one
PH: Unknown
Tank Size: 5 Gallons

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am new to betta care, so hopefully my opinion can be supported or corrected, but it looks like severe over eating.

How often do you feed? and how much? over feeding can cause fish issues.......

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
That looks like a form of dropsy to me. I hate to say it, but if it is, there's not a whole lot of hope for recovery. You can put unscented Epsom salt in with her, 1-2 tsp per gallon, in an attempt to reduce her swelling. And possibly try Kanaplex, if you can get ahold of some.

Or maybe she's eggbound? That might be a possibility as well, but I have absolutely no experience with that.

Anyway, that's my thought, but maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That looks like a form of dropsy to me. I hate to say it, but if it is, there's not a whole lot of hope for recovery. You can put unscented Epsom salt in with her, 1-2 tsp per gallon, in an attempt to reduce her swelling. And possibly try Kanaplex, if you can get ahold of some.

Or maybe she's eggbound? That might be a possibility as well, but I have absolutely no experience with that.

Anyway, that's my thought, but maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

question: if a betta is already sick and you are treating with a different medicine, is it ok to add e.s. to the water before finishing treatment of current medicine?

My fish is halfway through his medicine (bettafix), and yesterday I added aquarium salt to hopefully combat his inflamed gills. would it be too much to add some e.s. tomorrow? or can I just add that to the water of his regular tank when I release him from hospi tank?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
question: if a betta is already sick and you are treating with a different medicine, is it ok to add e.s. to the water before finishing treatment of current medicine?

My fish is halfway through his medicine (bettafix), and yesterday I added aquarium salt to hopefully combat his inflamed gills. would it be too much to add some e.s. tomorrow? or can I just add that to the water of his regular tank when I release him from hospi tank?
Depends on the medications. If by E. S. You mean Epsom salt, that's definitely not okay. Aquarium salt and Epsom salt should not be used together, and you should give your fish a 24hr rest period before switching the two. What are you hoping to achieve by adding Epsom salt? Do you have a thread for what's going on with your fish? You'll be more likely to get good advice from more people if you do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Depends on the medications. If by E. S. You mean Epsom salt, that's definitely not okay. Aquarium salt and Epsom salt should not be used together, and you should give your fish a 24hr rest period before switching the two. What are you hoping to achieve by adding Epsom salt? Do you have a thread for what's going on with your fish? You'll be more likely to get good advice from more people if you do.

I posted a thread, and got zero responses. I worried that my fish has an internal issue. Since i never got a response, i simply just finished the bettafix treatment and then added a normal amount of salt to his new hospital tank water. I never used Epsom salt.

Fishy is more chipper, but his fins are still horribly tattered. Time im sure will help with that.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Is the fish a male or a female? I thought from your first post it was a girl, but I seem to be mistaken? Have you seen your fish poop at all since this started? What does it look like? If you haven't, I'd remove the AQ salt and add Epsom salt later, as well as fasting the fish. Or you could try feeding it frozen or live daphnia in that case as well, or as a last resort, a quarter of a frozen pea thawed in tank water. If you have seen poop and it seems normal, I'd consider starting to dose Kanaplex in case it is dropsy. If you have seen poop and it looks white and stringy, you might have internal parasites going on. I don't have any experience with internal parasites, so I'm not sure how much help I'd be if it's that. I do have experience with dropsy and know what to do for bloating, so I can help with those (as much as anyone can help with dropsy).

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I posted a thread, and got zero responses. I worried that my fish has an internal issue. Since i never got a response, i simply just finished the bettafix treatment and then added a normal amount of salt to his new hospital tank water. I never used Epsom salt.

Fishy is more chipper, but his fins are still horribly tattered. Time im sure will help with that.
Could you post a link to the thread that didn't receive any answers? I can't seem to find it. Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
oh poor fishy. The temperature seems rather low to me which could be contributing to the problem. My male Omar is believed to have Dropsy right now. He's been on antibiotics for almost a week.

Definitely need to confirm that your fish is pooping. I've started soaking my fish food pellets or dried daphnia a bit before feeding. I've heard this suggested before. That's presuming it's a constipation issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts