Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**Posted this yesterday but was advised to move it here**

I just had to move my betta to smaller 5 gallon tank to treat him for ich which seemed to have gone away pretty quickly. But now I'm noticing he has small holes in his fins and his face looks greenish, Im assuming it's fine rot? I feel bad for him and I'm not sure what to do :(

Housing: Normally 20 gallon but he has been in a 5 gallon hospital tank for 5 days now
Does it have a filter? Main tank yes hospital tank no
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank?86
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Yes, 2 corys who i added about 3 weeks ago

Food: Tetra Bettamin tropical medley and Aqueon tropical flakes
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Morning & night, about a pinch each

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Before he was sick it was just him so about once a month
What percentage of water did you change? about 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Aquarium pharmaceuticals super strength tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

*Not sure about these right now**

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 6 days ago i noticed the ich, yesterday i noticed the holes in his tail and greenish face
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? His behavior has not changed at all
Is your Betta still eating? He still eats excitedly morning & night
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I treated him for the ich, wich seemed to have been gone the next day and it still hasnt been back, and i started treatment for fin regrowth/fungus
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Got him in January and when i added the cory's was the first he's been sick

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
The cory's most likely brought the Ich in. Treating him in a hospital tank is only temporary. You really should've treated him in the main tank, as soon as you put him back into the main tank he will get infected with Ich again.

Gradually raise the temp to 84 to 86. Ich can't survive in anything above 85. Gradually add in aquarium salt one teaspoon per gallon and Kordon Ich-Attack for Fresh & Saltwater Aquariums is known to be safe for Cory, snails and plants. You should treat the main tank. Any equipment you use, eg nets, gravel vacuum cleaner things like this should be sterilized with hot water. It does not take much to transfer ich between tanks. One drop of water is all it takes.

can you post a few more pics of the betta. from the side shot, before and after pictures usually helps determine if there is a discoloration issue.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Do not add Aquarium Salt to the tank with the Cory. The Cory/Pleco breeders I know do not recommend Aquarium Salt for scaleless fish if something else will work for treatment. Ich-Attack and raising the temperature should be enough. Ich-Attack is also safe for inverts like shrimp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hesitant about treating the whole tank because, like RussellTheShihTzu said, i read that salt can be harmful to the corys so i didn't wan to chance it. But my bettas looking much better today, the holes almost closed up on his tail and his color seems good. But when should i put him back in his main tank? Also, should i continue to treat for ich even though its been gone for about 4 days now? Do you think he will get ich again from going back to the main? The corys still don't have it so i was hoping it would be fine

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
You'll have to treat the main tank. Even though the Cory don't show signs they could still be carrying. Just up the temperature to around 86 for a few days to kill the parasites which cause Ich. I bought Kordon Ich Attack because I have shrimp and crays and it's the only treatment I've found that's safe for both. Luckily, I haven't had to use it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What would account for the green spot around his mouth? My fish has a similar color splotch on his body that I hadn't noticed when I got him. Is it just a natural change in color?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts