Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so hes not actually mine hes my cousins but im watching him for awhile since their living conditions are not the greatest right now and i have my own betta. this guy is about 2 years old, a bit over. He lives in what i think is a 2 gallon i have no idea, but his tank is very prone to algae so we got him a snail. PSA!! He looked like this before getting the snail.

His fins are clamped, he swims around and eats but obviously their isnt much he can do in such a small tank. He doesnt bother the snail he really doesnt care about him. sometimes he looks at him then swims off hes a chill fish. But he does have a weird large green patch on his bottom fin (idk what its called). it isnt spreading or anything its just their and looks kinda gross.

Anyways, heres what he looks like and more details.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? i think 2
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Yes, black mystery snail.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Topfin betta bits
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? i guess
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 4 pellets twice daily

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? she did a full water change once a month. I do a 30% on his tank since he has a tank mate, twice a month, and a full change once a month.
What percentage of water did you change? 30% and 100%
What is the source of your water? tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vaccuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Beneficial bacteria, api conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:na
Nitrite: na
Nitrate: na
pH: na
Hardness (GH): na
Alkalinity (KH): na

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? i have no idea its been months
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? fin clamping, grey eyes , muted colors , uneven coloring, weird green patch on his bottom fin (idk what its called)
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Pretty inactive
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? idk
How long have you owned your Betta? over 2 years
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? I have no idea

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi! You need to obtain water parameter test strips or a kit (if you get the strips be sure and also get the extra one that's for ammonia).

Also, take a look at this - the water change schedule needs to be increase;

Indian Almond leaf or Rooibos tea may help him as well, he's stressed and while either of these are antifungal and antibacterial, they also help ease stress.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! You need to obtain water parameter test strips or a kit (if you get the strips be sure and also get the extra one that's for ammonia).

Also, take a look at this - the water change schedule needs to be increase;

Indian Almond leaf or Rooibos tea may help him as well, he's stressed and while either of these are antifungal and antibacterial, they also help ease stress.
thanks :) also would u have any idea what the green spot is? ive tried googling it and found nothing on it

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
The green on his anal fin appears to be natural color. Are you referring to the area at the back of the fin?

If he were mine, I would remove the decor and use the gravel vac to thoroughly clean the substrate. Shove the plastic end into the gravel and leave until water runs clean. It will take several fills and vacuums. Just in case the parameters are wonky, I would do it every couple of hours so as to avoid parameter shock. It is best to leave him in the tank when you do this.

There is nothing wrong with a smaller tank but it takes more maintenance to keep it healthy. Once the substrate is clean, and until you can test parameters, one 50% or two 25% water changes and vacuum per week would be required. If you have a means for testing Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates, as long as the first two read 0 ppm and the latter under 15-20, one 25% per week would work. No more 100% water changes as they are extremely stressful on fish.

The API Freshwater Master Kit is the best and cheapest route for testing parameters. On Chewy, the kit is under $25 for 800 tests; 100 Nitrite and Nitrate strips + 25 Ammonia strips comes to around $20.

I would use either Indian Almond Leaves or plain, decaffeinated Rooibos Tea as a constant in his tank. Both have antifungal and antibacterial properties in addition to having calming effects.

If you're up to it, you can try to cycle the tank using the Forum's tutorial CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

Once all of this is done and the current food runs out a more nutritious food like NorthFin Betta Bits is a better choice.

Fingers crossed with the cleaner tank and the Rooibos or IAL he will start to perk up. You might want to take a photo once per week to see if you can see progress.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like he is, i feed him and he eats well. He has minipellets so i give him a pinch of those or 6-10 but i still fee like he is too skinny. He gets treats too like dried bloodworms and brineshrimp, sometimes flakes but i dont like the mess they make so i try to avoid them. his fins seem to be bloodshot too, idk i just feel like hes getting worse. Ive been doing more frequent water changes since i cant afford the test kit, hoping if its a pH thing itll help, I also need to get a new filter cartridge, i wash mine every water change but covid hit really hard so Im having a hard time getting him the stuff he needs, so im just trying to make due with what i have and do my best. Ive already posted his tank stuff but ill repost here since its a new thread.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? Bettamin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both, flakes ocassionaly, bloodworms, and dried brine shrimp as treats.
Freeze-dried? yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? A small pinch since the pellets are mini, twice a day.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? i now clean it twice a week, i just vaccuum the gravel until the tank is about halfway or a little under full then fill it back up.
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?beneficial bacteria, conditioner is api

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: na

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? two months ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? fins and tail shredding , tips are thin , chunks are missing, bloodshot
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? i dont think it has much.
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? more frequent water changes
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? under a year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? no

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi! Can you get a photo, especially from above?

i give him a pinch of those or 6-10
Try feeding more frequently, for example 2 times a day with maybe a light snack inbetween. The container instructions are;
Feed your fish 2 times daily with 1 serving at a time. Serving may vary but is typically 4 - 6 pellets.

I couldn't tell for certain but just to clarify, if the bloodworms are freezedried instead of frozen those should be fed only as treats too.

Betta are overfed when there's too much eaten at one time, but they're ok if that same amount is spread out over time.

A pet store will test your water parameters for free, but if you don't trust that take a look at the water parameter test strips (including the seperate ammonia one), they're less expensive. Additionally you might be able to find cartridge/filters on sale.

You won't want to adjust the pH, fish can deal with a stable pH but not when it fluctuates.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so hes not actually mine hes my cousins but im watching him for awhile since their living conditions are not the greatest right now and i have my own betta. this guy is about 2 years old, a bit over. He lives in what i think is a 2 gallon i have no idea, but his tank is very prone to algae so we got him a snail. PSA!! He looked like this before getting the snail.

His fins are clamped, he swims around and eats but obviously their isnt much he can do in such a small tank. He doesnt bother the snail he really doesnt care about him. sometimes he looks at him then swims off hes a chill fish. But he does have a weird large green patch on his bottom fin (idk what its called). it isnt spreading or anything its just their and looks kinda gross.

Anyways, heres what he looks like and more details.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? i think 2
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Yes, black mystery snail.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Topfin betta bits
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? i guess
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 4 pellets twice daily

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? she did a full water change once a month. I do a 30% on his tank since he has a tank mate, twice a month, and a full change once a month.
What percentage of water did you change? 30% and 100%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vaccuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Beneficial bacteria, api conditioner

Water Parameters:

Ammonia:na

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? i have no idea its been months
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? fin clamping, grey eyes , muted colors , uneven coloring, weird green patch on his bottom fin (idk what its called)
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Pretty inactive
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? idk
How long have you owned your Betta? over 2 years
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? I have no idea View attachment 1023882 View attachment 1023883
Update!! He moved into a 10 gallon, and my cousin didnt want to take care if him anymore so hes mine now. I thought moving him and adding a better filter, and cleaning more often (i do test the water parameters) would help and adding the almond leaf as well but it hasnt. Ive also tried using seachem stress guard and still nothing. His eyes cleared up when i moved him, but they are now extremely foggy again. Hes lethargic, inactive, sits in the same spot 24 hours a day, stays at the top of the water. Hes not dead, ive bumped the glass to make sure. His color is still bad and his fins are still clamped. He isnt swimming sideways and theres no white spots and no signs of finrot. I cant figure out how to get the almond leaves to stain the water like theyre supposed to, when i do water changes it just removes it. If anyone has any ideas id really appreciate help. I hate seeing my animals suffer and he's been suffering for so long. Thank you!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update!! He moved into a 10 gallon, and my cousin didnt want to take care if him anymore so hes mine now. I thought moving him and adding a better filter, and cleaning more often (i do test the water parameters) would help and adding the almond leaf as well but it hasnt. Ive also tried using seachem stress guard and still nothing. His eyes cleared up when i moved him, but they are now extremely foggy again. Hes lethargic, inactive, sits in the same spot 24 hours a day, stays at the top of the water. Hes not dead, ive bumped the glass to make sure. His color is still bad and his fins are still clamped. He isnt swimming sideways and theres no white spots and no signs of finrot. I cant figure out how to get the almond leaves to stain the water like theyre supposed to, when i do water changes it just removes it. If anyone has any ideas id really appreciate help. I hate seeing my animals suffer and he's been suffering for so long. Thank you!
Forgot to post recent pictures. Id like to add he seems to need to breathe at the top quite a lot when swimming and when hes resting hes slightly on his side. I dont know if its swim bladder i think hes just a big fish but im not sure.
Here...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another update, he swims sideways and when i was fixing gis filter he was at the bottom of the tank face down completely straigjt up and down. Hes bloated, thinking it is swimbladder. I dont know how to treat this, I could really use some help. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
830 Posts
Hi there. So it's great he is in good hands now. It honestly looks like long term exposure to poor water quality, a poor diet etc. Water changes 2x weekly and Indian Almond Leaves/Roobios tea should help with stress. I would look into getting him on a better diet such as New Life Spectrum, Fluval Bug Bites, Omega One Betta Buffet, or Northfin Pellets. Feed 3-4 pellets 2-3x daily.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi there. So it's great he is in good hands now. It honestly looks like long term exposure to poor water quality, a poor diet etc. Water changes 2x weekly and Indian Almond Leaves/Roobios tea should help with stress. I would look into getting him on a better diet such as New Life Spectrum, Fluval Bug Bites, Omega One Betta Buffet, or Northfin Pellets. Feed 3-4 pellets 2-3x daily.
okay thanks! Hes a really picky eater. Im fasting him for a few days to see if his bloating will go down. Ill get him some new foods and try a few different things out.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi!
For the tea, try this, from @RussellTheShihTzu
Float a tea bag or a leaf in his tank. Another way to use is to brew a strong tea of either one, treat with conditioner and pour into tank. Leftover can be stored in the refrigerator and rewarmed in the microwave.

You are trying for water this color:
TankWithIAL.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi!
For the tea, try this, from @RussellTheShihTzu
Float a tea bag or a leaf in his tank. Another way to use is to brew a strong tea of either one, treat with conditioner and pour into tank. Leftover can be stored in the refrigerator and rewarmed in the microwave.

You are trying for water this color:
TankWithIAL.jpg
okay thank you, water changes werent allowing the water to darken. So thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.