Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using the Marina Power Filter S10? I'm kinda liking that it's got clear plastic but no one in my area sells it. I'd have to buy it online.

Outside of that one... what is your favorite filter to use on a 10 gallon tank?

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Never used that one, sorry.

I love sponge filters and plan on using them in the majority of the tanks I run from now on. They're cheap and work great, and are safe for fry and long finned males that don't like the flow or a regular power filter.

I also like aquaclear hang on back power filters. They work well, are reliable, and unlike a lot of filters you can easily customize the media.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Aquaclear 20. Full flow is 100 GPH and low flow is like 40 GPH, so quite a range of ability. Too, for like a 5 gallon, you can break off a couple of the fins on the impeller and that significantly reduce the capacity, by as much as half - 20 to 50 GPH. Tons of room for media as Matt said, and it doesn't use cartridges so you never need to replace the media. Also makes it REALLY easy to start a new tank with an instant cycle by transferring the mature media to the new filter.

Reactions: Micherie

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
My hint would be to cut the foam block up into a few pieces that way you can remove or clean some without having to disrupt everything. When you remove a piece to start a new tank just put a new piece in its place. I think an extra pack of 3 sponges coats like $3. They are great for use in any filter, and also as a prefilter for the intake strainer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I like sponge filters. Right now I have 7 tanks up and running and I have sponges on 6 of them. My tanks are two 10g, two 20g, 29g and 55g. I'm setting up two more this week and both will have sponge filters. Hands down my favorite.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I'm really a fan of the Lee's Triple Flow corner filter for my 10G betta tank. I have the small size. It's just a simple air-driven filter, but it does a great job keeping the tank clean, it circulates the water well, and it's really low maintenance. And really cheap.

I do have to say - the plastic is SUPER flimsy though and I have to be careful when I'm moving it or cleaning it, but I haven't broken it yet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I decided to go ahead and try using the used Aqua Tech 5-15 that I have. The first night I had to leave it off because it nearly killed my fish with its heavy flow. Also, it turns out my tank is a 5.5 gallon, not 10. I don't know where I got the 10 from, but anyway...

The water clouded up quite a bit overnight so I bought some batting and covered the outside of the intake and shoved some in the outtake as well and within an hour the flow was right back to where it was or pretty close, but I didn't want to leave it off again and Bunta appeared to be getting stronger.

This morning I woke up with very cloudy water that had a green hue so I did a 75% water change and put the batting inside the intake tube instead and that helped the flow significantly, but I am concerned that this is just a ****ty Walmart filter that will never keep my water clean. How long should I wait before replacing it and will my water ever be clear again??

*SIGH* I am so bummed.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Shoulda gotten the AC20 and this wouldn't have happened.
Truthfully, it's entirely likely that one has nothing to do with the other. The things that can cloud your water, like a bacteria bloom or green water, are too small to be filtered out.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
i would use a small sponge filter in a tank that small.

I agree, knowing now that the tank is only 5 gallons and not 10 I would go with an azoo palm mini HoB or a sponge.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shoulda gotten the AC20 and this wouldn't have happened.
Truthfully, it's entirely likely that one has nothing to do with the other. The things that can cloud your water, like a bacteria bloom or green water, are too small to be filtered out.
I didn't purchase this one. It came used with my tank. My plan is to buy a 10 gallon to do it up the way I wanted to.

But... what now? Is my substrate ruined and should I not use it when I get the bigger tank? Will my water become clear again if I buy a better filter? Is my cloudy water harmful to Bunta? I bought some ammonia test strips and everything seems fine so far.

The substrate I bought was "instant aquarium" and it said that the water would be cloudy at first but would clear up after 24 hours (but then I had to leave the filter off). Do you think that is untrue?

Also... I read online that boiling water is ok for conditioning. Is that true?

·
Registered
993 Posts
i think your substrate is fine.get an appropriate filter and read up on tank cycling.bacterial blooms are normal.get a reliable testing kit,api master test kit is good,and some seachem prime water conditioner.would not boil the water to condition it.boiling it will kill any beneficial microbes in the water.until you get a new filter,do 50% water changes every couple of days.this will keep your ammonia and nitrites down.what steps are you using now to condition the tap water?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I'm only on day two so I don't know. When he was in the 1 gallon I used Kent and did 50% change every other day and 100% once a week.

I did a 75% change this morning when I found the water in that condition. I had a gallon of treated water left over so I used that and I used the old water from his bowl that I had not thrown out yet.

I bought a bottle of Prime and just found out how to measure it with a dropper so next time I do a water change I'll use that. I put 2 drops in one gallon.

I'm so frustrated over this that I just might go out and buy that 10 gallon and a new filter today. I can move him back into his bowl overnight to make sure the new setup is where I need it to be before I move him in.

·
Registered
993 Posts
if you changed the water in the tank and conditioned it,i do not think that you need to move him.the bacterial bloom will not hurt him.but if you feel that you must,go for it.i think you just need to get a sponge filter when you can.keep doing partial water changes.he will be fine with no filter for a while.some people do not use filters at all.and take a deep breath.i know this is frustrating for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts