Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Akila and Atticus <3
572 Posts
My first betta was Atlantis, but my older brother had to make an "Aquarium or Terrarium" for a Grade 7 Project and I was like 10 or so when that happened. Him and his partner kept 2 young female bettas in this water jug thing with this unsuccessful filter made with a straw. Just the fish and I believe some hornwort in there...? The jug was like a gallon or so. After the project, I don't know what happened to the fish as my brother's partner took them home.

So...I was really stupid and I was going to get my betta for a science fair project. I bought many crappy plastic tanks, all either 1 gallon or less. Then I went to walmart and bought a 5 gallon tank, ran it for 1 night, and the next day, I bought my fish from PetSmart. Acclimated, put him in and tested the water. The params were the same as in the cup, but I'm not sure. It definetely wasn't cycled when I put him in, but I used water conditioner. Then he wouldn't eat, and the temp was a bit colder than it was supposed to be. His tail was deteriorating and I could see like two stick bone thingsin his tail???

Then I went on a 3 day overnight trip and he couldnt swim, so I put him in a half filled 1 gallon tank, added a million dried bloodworms, a vacation feeder and a plastic ring. (???)

I think he died of ammonia poisoning, then my dad put him in the 5 gallon and he got sucked up by the filter when I came back.

My dad decided to surprise me with another betta, a blue one. He was a beautiful blue delta tail, named Oasis. I wasn't allowed to use the 5 gallon as my dad said it was a lot of work and he could get sick in there, so I kept him in the 1 gallon with a heater, substrate, hide and a leaf bed. There was also a LED light. He was okay for a while, and I bought him a lot of different kinds of food. I did 100% water changes once a week, and eventually he got fin rot, which looked like nipping, but I didn't know. He was dying, and eventually died in June/July 2020.

I did a bunch of research after his death, before impulse buying my next betta 👀

·
Registered
19 Posts
Honestly... last week! I’ve always admired bettas and their beautiful colors and fins, but growing up the only fish we had were some goldfish and a pleco (until they grew too large for their tank and we gave them to my aunt who has a huge goldfish pond!)

I’d toyed with the idea of getting one for ages, but its only in the last year that I started to gather my supplies and do research. Honestly I wasn’t planning on getting Bobbert when I did— he wasn’t the type I had been planning to get... but I made the mistake of going to Petsmart to check for plants. The one by me doesn’t take great care of their bettas, so the poor dude was in his gross cup, fins bitten and shredded in a bad way. But he still had a lot of good energy and pep, so! No way he was staying there in his cup while I had something to say about it!

Bobbert might not have been the fish I had been have been planning for, but I wouldn’t trade my lil dude for anything. <3

·
Registered
303 Posts
Honestly... last week! I’ve always admired bettas and their beautiful colors and fins, but growing up the only fish we had were some goldfish and a pleco (until they grew too large for their tank and we gave them to my aunt who has a huge goldfish pond!)

I’d toyed with the idea of getting one for ages, but its only in the last year that I started to gather my supplies and do research. Honestly I wasn’t planning on getting Bobbert when I did— he wasn’t the type I had been planning to get... but I made the mistake of going to Petsmart to check for plants. The one by me doesn’t take great care of their bettas, so the poor dude was in his gross cup, fins bitten and shredded in a bad way. But he still had a lot of good energy and pep, so! No way he was staying there in his cup while I had something to say about it!

Bobbert might not have been the fish I had been have been planning for, but I wouldn’t trade my lil dude for anything. <3
Funny how things work out....he was meant to be your fish and you his owner......the stars aligned.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts