Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am a new member, literally just registered, and very happy to have an account here :) I've had my first betta for around 2 months now, he's a beautiful royal blue delta, but lately he's come down with fin rot :-( It's not terribly severe, but its not just little ragged. Around half a cm has gone clear with blackish streaks and the tips, it's split once, and quite a few chunks have fallen off. also, his anal fin seems to be becoming a little bit see-through. I started treating him for it yesterday with AQ salt, he's in a 2 gallon tank with lots of space, and i've put in 1 teaspoon of AQ salt per gallon. As im supposed to, i cleaned the tank before doing so, and ive done again today, as almost everyone says to do that everyday for ten days. My question is, will ten days be enough, and when will i see any improvements in the fins? Not fin regrowth, because thats supposed to take awhile, but how i will i know i've cured it? And how long will that take?

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Can you fill out the sticky at the top of this section: "Please Read Before Posting....."? We also need photos as many times people mistake fin biting for fin rot and unnecessarily treat.

To embed a photo click on "Go Advanced" and then either the paper clip or "Manage Attachments."

Thanks and Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea what you meant by the sticky, but if the sticky just has the basic info of the way the bettas being kept ill give that now;
Tank size; 2 Gallons
Heated; yes
Aerated?; no, lots of surface
temp; 78-80 F
Added water things; Betta conditioner, API AQ salt since yesterday
Parameters; have no idea dont have enough money for the tests, hopefully soon
Filtered; no
water changes; 100% everyday starting yesterday, before that 100% every 4-6 days

Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Plant

Water Glass Aquarium Aquatic plant Plant

Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Plant

I don't have a phone so unfortunately i couldnt take pics really up close, but i hope those will suffice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay well i gave pretty much all of that info, i feed Royal Tetra BettaMin Flakes , a teeny pinch twice a day, once in the morning, once at night, want to switch to pellets to help keep tank cleaner but cant right now, he has no tank mates, as i said, i dont know the water parameters, but before treatment i was changing it 100% every 4-6 days, using water conditioner
Half a cm at the tips of his tail has gone clear with a little bit of black curled up at the very tips, and some streaks of it through the clear. It has one split, and quite a few chunks out of it, its pretty ragged. His anal fin seems to be going a little bit see through, and thats the latest change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Fin Rot or Fin Biting? When will it clear up?

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2
Does it have a filter? no
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-80F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? API BettaMin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? nope
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? one teeny pinch once in morning, once at night

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? every 4-6 days
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Cleaned in hot water
What additives do you use? Betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Can't check, don't have a test kit, and i woudl get it but can't afford that right now.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Around two weeks after getting him
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Half a cm of his tail is clear with a teeny bit of black near the edges, all torn up, one split, anal fin seems to be becoming a bit see through
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He used to be very active, he still is not as much though
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, but he seems to spit out some of the food afterwards
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Today is the third day of his AQ salt treatment, assuming he has fin rot, i change the water 100% everyday, then add in one teaspoon of AQ salt per gallon, so two teaspoons
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? I have no idea, got him from the pet store
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? He didn't seem to have any damage to the fins at all, was very responsive and active when i first got him, still is, and ive owned him for around 2 months now.

My question is, is it fin rot or fin biting, im pretty sure its fin rot. And how long will it take to cure it with the AQ salt, and how will i know its cured without seeing any regrowth? The ends are already pretty clear, it would be hard to distinguish it from the actual fin rot..

Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Plant

Water Glass Aquarium Aquatic plant Plant

Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Plant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.