Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So I feel like there was a thread on this before, but I couldn't find it when I searched the forum. For my US friends, where do you buy bettas online? Is there a trusted source you prefer? I'm just kinda tired of the sad bettas at petco and depending on price I might be willing to get one shipped to me instead. What are your thoughts? Any local breeders that are selling?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You could try AquaBid.com in the Betta section. I my self have noticed the lack of quality at Petco and Petsmart in my local stores. But I haven't given up hope things will turn around.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've never shipped from them but Rena's Fish Store and Bettas and Art both appear to have high quality bettas.

I would suggest finding out when your LPS get shipments in. My local Petco gets new fish every Thursday and the bettas always appear healthy on those first few days before the high stress housing gets to them. I would ask when the next time they next a new shipment in and visit on those days.

·
Super Moderator
2,525 Posts
I know it's not what you asked, but when I moved into this area, the first fish related thing I did was search out small fish stores (coincidentally looking for driftwook). I found this little store on the edge of Cleveland where the owner had some of the most beautiful little bettas. They were in the small cups, but their cups were clean. I brought Saffron home and he kicked a fuss the entire way.

He sells them very cheap (probably as a loss leader), but his prices on decor was always reasonable.

I know it's not doable for everyone, since when I was in DE, it was hard to find a shop that had the quality that this guy does, but it sold me on checking to see what's local and supporting them first.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I know it's not what you asked, but when I moved into this area, the first fish related thing I did was search out small fish stores (coincidentally looking for driftwook). I found this little store on the edge of Cleveland where the owner had some of the most beautiful little bettas. They were in the small cups, but their cups were clean. I brought Saffron home and he kicked a fuss the entire way.

He sells them very cheap (probably as a loss leader), but his prices on decor was always reasonable.

I know it's not doable for everyone, since when I was in DE, it was hard to find a shop that had the quality that this guy does, but it sold me on checking to see what's local and supporting them first.
I did something similar, bought my first betta from a local store that had them in super roomy, clean containers at reasonable prices. When I went back this winter I was saddened to see the bettas in tiny cups that could have used a cleaning, prices drastically raised, and overall not as generally lively as they have been in the past. So while I definitely recommend checking out local stores over chains especially for livestock, they can still fall into the trap of trying to make profit at the expense of the fish.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my local pet shops do the same as the petsmart and petco, and they don't have much of a variety, maybe 5 or so fish.

I'll check some of the websites online and check facebook. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
19,506 Posts
If you want to know where I buy my Betta send me a PM and I'll give you the link to his FB group. I've been buying from Loc for three years. There is one eBay seller I like, too.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I find both eBay and web sites tend to charge way too much for their Betta. I mean, $60+??? And not even for good quality (even though they claim such). Good Heavens!

And do not believe those who say their Betta are show quality. From what I've seen most wouldn't know show quality if it slapped them in the face. ;-)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love that! Yeah, plus I don't like importing because I don't know what hidden costs come with shipping from Thailand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts