Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I LOVE bettas. I already have two, each in their own respective 5gallon tanks with heater/filter and the whole she-bang.

I am currently cycling a heavily planted 15 gallon tank (12.3g according to aquadvisor) in which I would like to place 10 chilli rasboras and a betta. My ph is 6.5 and my water is soft as I use 80% osmotic water. I have a couple of Indian Almond Leaves and some floating plants. Also some rocks and a tiki man in which a betta could hide. I also keep the tank at 80 degrees Fareheit.

I have done a lot of research and apparently most rasboras are quite peaceful and thus compatible with bettas and wont stress them out. They are also not too nippy. I chose chillis because they are attractive and true nano fish with a small bioload.

I definitely want to attempt this relationship and my question is which betta specimen will will be most likely to result in a successful habitat for both parties? (Both at peace with their surroundings.) I have read of many people keeping splendens with chillis but imbellis seems to be a bit safer? Also would a baby betta be a viable choice as they would grow up together?

So that is my question. Splendens, imbellis, or possibly a younger betta?

(I would of course add the betta last.) Is there really a preference or is it really just the individual betta since they are quite diverse as far as personality goes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I ended up getting a betta imbellis hybrid locally. He is quite small and has the same exactly colors and is slender. The main difference is he has a double tail. He seems quite peaceful.

Since I already introduced him to the tank to help the tank fully mature before introducing the chili rasboras, I am wondering what's the best method to introduce them when they arrive?

Should I place a transparent divider at first and then remove it over some time? Or should I remove the poor betta from his home and re-introduce him with the new tank mates in there and rearrange the furniture so to speak?

Any tips are appreciated. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
If you float the rasboras, turn the lights off when you place the bag in the tank. When you release them, leave the lights off for at least 20 minutes to give them time to acclimate to their surroundings.

But have a contingency plan should your Betta prove aggressive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. If it doesn't work out I will just use a divider and give my betta 4.5 gallons and the rasboras 8 gallons. I think that's fair but I'm not sure.

Thank you for your response :)

Has anyone had any success with a similar situation where the betta was acclimated first?

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I think too much is made of "add the Betta last." I had all my Bettas first and acclimated in a darkened tank.

I have tiny, tiny Dario hysginon and Scarlet Badis (about .5" but need special care) in a 20 long with no problem. Only one of my four is too aggressive to take his turn in the 20. I also have Pygmy and hasbrosus Cories and male Endlers and Dwarf Panda Guppies (about .75") and they do fine, too. As do Clayton and Esmeralda the African Dwarf Frogs.

It's my theory that the more plants you have, the more you interrupt the line of sight/attack. Plus, it gives the Betta a place to rest or hide if the activity gets to be too much.

You'll love the Chilis and soon be adding other types. :) Check out this site. It's the only place I buy my Micro/Nano fish. Even if you don't buy from Rachel, the site has some incredible information and is worth scoping out. She lectures all over the US.

Freshwater Species | Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very helpful and good to know. Thanks again :)

I'm excited to be getting the chilli's. They were the nano fish I wanted most. They will look beautiful with my betta so I hope they can share the space. My tank is quite heavily planted but I will be adding more just in case.

Hmm...Maybe in the future if I'm successful I'll add some pygmy corys? ;-)

That site doesn't have chillis in stock currently but they do have the "sparrow rasboras." Does she restock often? If not I can wait a bit.

I saw another nano fish site Oddball Pets and another Frank's Aquarium but I haven't heard any recommendations from them. I really prefer to keep actual nano fish in anything under 20 gallons. I will have to keep an eye out if I can't get them locally.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As you can see I already have quite a few hiding places but I think I will add a few more plants. There are some seeds too.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Looks good. You might try to anchor a bunch or two of Narrow Leaf Anacharis or Cabomba in one of the corners. My Bettas seem to gravate to them when it's their turn and they love using them as resting spots. The Micro fish like them, too.

Rachel restocks often and sometimes she has fish in stock but hasn't yet listed. What I really appreciate is she quarantines them before they are for sale. When you get ready to order, email with your wants. Right now she's away from her computer but she'll get back to you as soon as.

When my husband gets home I'll take some photos (he has the camera :) ) of the 20 long. This is it before I removed the dividers and rescaped.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will keep those plants in mind. Broad leafed plants are nice for fish to rest. As my tank cycles I will keep adding more. I love your aquascape! Very nice.

I would like to get mine to be so full. So they feel more comfortable. I keep the lights on for just eight hours. I wonder if ten hours would be too stressful?

I turn them on around noon which is when the sun is supposed to be at its fullest anway.

Right now my male betta is busy exploring every nook and cranny of the 15gallon :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
wow, its beautiful

·
Registered
354 Posts
i have galaxy pearl danio, chili rasbora, and a betta. all live happily along side each other.

it is all going to depend on the temperament of your betta. i would recommend having the chili rasbora in first for a couple of hours, then reintroduce your betta, this way the chili rasbora can find nice hiding places before the betta comes into the picture.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's good to know it's worked out for other people. I think it's a good suggestion to remove the betta but I'll think it over. I would rather not have to take him out. Maybe with more plants there will be plenty of places to hide.
I think with the lights off he will definitely notice though. I put a little snail in there because they were over populating my 30g and he noticed it right away. It was quite funny actually. He was like what is this thing?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I added a couple of bunch plants to help diffuse the situation. I think with one or two more plants it will be perfect for the community set-up. Hopefully it helps the cycle too.

I actually added an assassin snail to one of my other betta tanks where the pond snail population was getting a little crazy. My betta 'Indi' knocked him down when he was on the glass and left him on his back. I turned him back over onto his "feet" and hid him under an Almond Leaf to give him a chance to dig lol. Poor thing.

In my community tank the betta just nipped at the shell a bit and then ignored him. They really are so different. That's why a back-up plan is always good I guess.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts