Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after some intense internet research I've narrowed down the upgraded home for my betta down to 2 options. Let me know your thoughts, comments, opinion and personal experiences with both. Thanks in advance!

Option One
http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquari...-catid-300013?var_id=36-16838&_t=pfm=category

I'd be getting it a small heater but no filter. I would use the clear top fin glass pebbles for the substrate since they are easier to clean and I already have some in my current, 1 gal tank. They seem durable and I really like the way they look.

I would do 1 100% water change per week, along with using a betta baster to suck out any poo laying on the pebbles (they are quite easy to spot on the clear glass) and replacing whatever amount of water that takes out.

Pros (at least for me)
-Simple, contemporary design which matches my room perfectly
-very inexpensive
-no commitment to a filter
-would fit perfectly where I want to put it

Cons
-no cover, since the one it comes with doesn't have holes for breathing or cords
-no light
-basically like the tank I have now, except bigger and without the cover

Option Two
http://www.petco.com/product/121498/Fluval-Spec-III-Aquarium-Kit-in-Black.aspx

I'd also get a small heater for this one. I'd even consider getting the 5 gallon version but not sure where I would put it....
I'd probably use some black gravel and some river rocks.

I suppose I'd get a small siphon and do one 50% water change (just water) and one 50% wc with gravel cleaning per week. (On a side note, do the siphons drip alot, do they get a lot of water all over the place? This is a concern for me because everywhere I want to put the tank is carpeted -.-)

Pros:
-good design
-has cover and light
-the filter and heater would be hidden in the back compartment

Cons
-I've heard it has a strong filter which needs to be muffled somehow
-quite expensive
-siphoning just seems like a mess. Maybe it's not, but that's where I need your help

·
Registered
579 Posts
either setup would work, it really all depends on your preference and how much work you are willing to put into the care of the tank overall.. Typically once initial set up has been completed filtered tanks require less frequent attention. What I mean is
water quality seems to remain more stable and water changes/tank cleanings go from 2-3 (sometimes more depending on size of tank) to 1-2x's a week

However, that being said my Smallest tank is 5 gallons and my largest is 125 gallons soooooo......

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
As a side note about siphons, they do drip after you're done but I remedy this by shaking one end into my water bucket the other into the tank until its okay to make a U-shape and shake the rest into my water bucket. I still get a few drops but its nothing to really worry over?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Do you have a family member or freind with an electric/circular saw (preferably one that has a saw blade with a high tooth count)? If so Lexan from Home Depot can be bought and cut to make a cheap and easy custom lid. I have them on all my lidded tanks (10g, 7g, 12g, 55g (soon to also make ones for a 2 and 3g). For your tank size I'd get 2 peices of 10x8" lexan and cut for filter/heater cord, and have a small strip cut from the second piece to use as an easy access feeding opening. You can put a 'handle' on it by using super glue and a glass bead (or other item) to make picking up easier.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Another thing is the versa-tops from petsmart could be used if you get a rectangular aquarium

·
Registered
579 Posts
As a side note about siphons, they do drip after you're done but I remedy this by shaking one end into my water bucket the other into the tank until its okay to make a U-shape and shake the rest into my water bucket. I still get a few drops but its nothing to really worry over?

I do the same

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I recommend to get the fluval Spec lll. Its a great tank.

My gravel vac doesn't get water all over the place at all. and all of my tanks are over a carpeted area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I'm definitely leaning toward the fluval, mostly because I don't have anyone I could go to for the custom lid for the other one (I don't want any bettacide or death by kitty), and I'm starting to warm up to the idea of having a filter + siphon.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I used to think that filters weren't really needed for bettas BUT now that all my tanks have filters and are cycled my fish are much healthy and more active and seem to be doing much better.

As for the gravel vac. I use a turkey baster for a long time because I didn't have any extra money for a gravel vac. Now that I do have one, I do think it makes things easier but it's totally okay if you don't get one right away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts