Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently I have archy in a 2.? Gallon fishbowl with no filter and a heater. While I am ready and willing to do the water changes as necessary I will be going to college in August and long story short want a second betta. I was planning on sticking archy's bowl on the dresser they give you but if I get a second then two bowls (same size over 2 gallon) wouldn't fit. I THINK it's a 2.5 gallon bowl but I'm not 100% sure. Anyways since 2 of the same bowl won't fit and I would want the things to match I thought "oh I'll just get two 2.5-3 gallon with a filter and do less frequent changes" but the amazon reviews for all the filters suck. Either the filter is too strong or too loud and useless. I DO NOT WANT TO BUY A DIFFERENT FILTER. If I'm going to buy 2 new tanks then I will not be buying an additional 2 filters to go with them. These tanks seem like they would fit on my desk shelf (8inches deep and 3 feet wide) but if I'm going to have to take out the filter and water change both then that isn't worth it to me to have two brand new tanks. So my options are thus:

Aquarius Aq25000 Aquarius 2-1/2 Corner Tank 2-1/2-Gallon Aquarium Kit
http://amzn.com/B0083S5PI8

I have the small version of this that just came with a bubbler but the bubbler was way too loud and difficult so I am using it to temporarily house a "baby" without the bubbler. I think they'd both fit on my dresser so that's ok but it's the filter problem, I won't buy a replacement if this one is too strong, I'll be back in water change city.

Tetra 29041 Half Moon Bubbler, 3-Gallon
http://amzn.com/B00591C0F8

My mom used the small version of this with her betta but that didn't come with a filter either, just a led light that literally sits on top of the tank. I feel like the bubbles might be too much water current and It also has poor filter reviews.

Aqueon 17771 Mini Bow 2-1/2 Desktop Aquarium Kit, Black
http://amzn.com/B00404FLME

Once again I had the small version of this and hated it! The filter was such a pain, much too strong for a betta, his fins would get pulled into the intake and he'd be stuck there. This has the same filter. No bueno. So I'm 99% sure I'd be doing water changes (which I really don't wanna do for more than 1 tank)

Tetra 29095 Cube Aquarium Kit, 3-Gallon
http://amzn.com/B008CA7W7E

Last but not least, have no experience with it but it has bad reviews filter wise.

So basically all the tanks I want have bad filter reviews and I don't want to buy another filter. Are the filters in these actually bad, I want a filter that doesn't disturb the water much and doesn't hurt my fishy. Do you have any of these, how are they? Do you have any suggestions? If I do buy I will be buying four, 1 for mom, 2 for me, and one for a friend who will be getting archy's "baby" brother

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think a lot of the filters do okay after you figure out how to baffle them. I have a Marina 360, Fluval View, and Marineland Contour. Each came with a built in filter that was strong, but a little filter foam and rubberbands fixed that on all 3. The cube tanks look really nice side by side.

Edit: now that I think of it, what about putting a divider into a Fluval Spec 5 gallon? That would fit nice in a small space and look good too.

Check out this thread: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433236-fluval-spec-v/

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the smaller 1.5 gallon version of the Tetra cube... The filter is kind of big for the size tank, but I haven't had really any problems with it otherwise. I did cushion the air pump so it wasn't quite so noisy, though, but that was really straightforward. It's not the best filter, but I like to do a partial water change every other day and a full water change once a week to be on the safe side.

What I like about it is that if you keep the water line in the 'working area', it works well to clean debris out of the water and the current isn't too strong.

Of course, you could always do a DIY sponge filter and use the air pump and tube that comes with the kit. I'm thinking of doing that myself, actually.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Another thought- the fluval view has a filter intake, and 2 filter outputs that would allow you to put a divider right in the middle and each side would be filtered equally. One heater could go in the back chamber and warm the whole tank. However, each fish would have only 1.8 gallons of water to himself.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I tried to baffle the aqueon filter I had no luck whatsoever, because it was the evil intake that was the problem. And I'm not too keen about dividing the tank idea, only because if something goes wrong I'm screwed and without a tank. I want 2 tanks for me, one for mom, and one for a friend. What is filter foam and how does it work? Also thank you

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had the Aquarius Aq25000 Aquarius 2-1/2 Corner Tank 2-1/2-Gallon Aquarium Kit, and the filter wasn't very good. I ended up doing water changes anyway, and the current was much to strong for my male betta. it'd very awkward to place as well, and the lights on it are crap in my opinion. It was more of a pain than a pleasure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Honestly, from member to member, the last link caught my attention:
The tetra cube, I believe.
Esthetically it looks amazing, I'm already getting jealous.
Although after researching, I found that the pump and filter are not worth it.
Know the tank is also made of acrylic, which could be good or bad.
But I find that acrylic is really unsteady, and can sometimes get water mark scars!(personnel experience)
Although If I were to chose I would go with the Aqueon desktop kit, it really is an amazing tank all my betta's have loved this tank, sick or not sick, healthy or ill.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Now the tank is also made of acrylic, which could be good or bad.
But I find that acrylic is really unsteady, and can sometimes get water mark scars!(personnel experience)
Although If I were to chose I would go with the Aqueon desktop kit, it really is an amazing tank all my betta's have loved this tank, sick or not sick, healthy or ill.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now the tank is also made of acrylic, which could be good or bad.

How would the filter be on that? I had the same in a small and it had the same filter as the 3 gallon, my betta would get sucked in and stuck on the intake, now my new betta is much smaller and I don't want that happening

·
Registered
330 Posts
Is $45 for each tank within your budget? If so, I recommend this tank:

http://www.petco.com/product/123643/Marineland-Contour-Glass-LED-Aquarium-Kit.aspx?Ntt=marineland%20contour&OneResultRedirect=1

It's really nice, and two go together beautifully side by side.

To baffle the filter take a little piece of filter foam and stuff it in the tube going from the pump to the output, and another little piece in the round part right before the output piece. Use a small rubberband to hold the tubes together so they don't separate from the pressure. I can explain in more detail & send pics if you decide to get the tank. My halfmoon LOVES this tank as long as the filter is turned down low and it is baffled. You have to rinse out the foam baffle if you notice the flow is getting too slow.

Here is an example of filter foam:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly I think it's going to be either the cube or the crescent seeing as no matter what I'll have to modify/remove the filter (which I was hoping to not-have to do.)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Honestly I think it's going to be either the cube or the crescent seeing as no matter what I'll have to modify/remove the filter (which I was hoping to not-have to do.)
The contour tank took 5 minutes to baffle. It's easy if you have a plan and don't have to rely on trial and error. Plus, the tank is beautiful. The filter and heater are totally hidden from view, and the lights are good. It's a glass tank also.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I do admit the filter is a bit strong, but I played around with it abit.
I placed a small sponge where the suction is. That work loads, and even helped removing most extra durt in the tank.
I do not have this tank anymore, as my old Betta, Ronaldo died,
hop I helped

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do admit the filter is a bit strong, but I played around with it abit.
I placed a small sponge where the suction is. That work loads, and even helped removing most extra durt in the tank.
I do not have this tank anymore, as my old Betta, Ronaldo died,
hop I helped
When I had the teeny one I wrapped undyed silk around the bottom and it was still too strong, I figured sponge would yield me the same result.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try to stay away from the Aquarius, the led lights on it burn out fast.
and the lights don't sell individually,
Just a heads-up.
please can anybody help me, I don't know where to ask questions and how?
Go to whatever category you want (betta pictures, betta diseases) and there will be a button "start new thread"

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Go advanced" "manage attachments" "choose photo" "upload" "close window" "post"

You can treat his fin rot with 1TSP aquarium salt per gallon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.