Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a single male beta (at least I think he’s male) in a 10 gallon tank. I used to have ghost shrimp however they have all sadly passed. I went to change the filter and noticed these small white egg like things stuck to the filters and inside the holder. They have a gelatinous type of film over them. Any ideas what these are?!

·
Registered
Male bettas: Strider, Smauge, and Lagolas, Female betta: Lady & Cookies. Gecko: George
236 Posts
Boy.. That is weird.. Betta eggs do not look like that and even the if your fish is a female and betta eggs really did look like that female betta's cannot lay eggs without being in with a male in the proper setup.

·
Registered
Male bettas: Strider, Smauge, and Lagolas, Female betta: Lady & Cookies. Gecko: George
236 Posts
If you have a picture of your betta I can identify if it is a male or female for you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think you‘re are thinking in the right direction, Hailiz!
Females can drop eggs without the presence of a male. At least one of mine did.
What doesn‘t fit into the frame is the gel around your eggs. The eggs my female released were very round, very white and had nothing around them...happy Easter by the way😊!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boy.. That is weird.. Betta eggs do not look like that and even the if your fish is a female and betta eggs really did look like that female betta's cannot lay eggs without being in with a male in the proper setup.
I did have a few shrimp but they have passed. Only silk plants. I read that while it is uncommon some females are able to drop eggs without a male. I don’t know if it’s 100% true however I don’t know what else this could be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you‘re are thinking in the right direction, Hailiz!
Females can drop eggs without the presence of a male. At least one of mine did.
What doesn‘t fit into the frame is the gel around your eggs. The eggs my female released were very round, very white and had nothing around them...happy Easter by the way😊!
yeah I can’t find anything else close to what it could be. I have read females can drop eggs without a male rarely. I’m thinking perhaps the gel stuff could be a type of algae or mold or something. So weird.

·
Registered
Akila and Atticus <3
571 Posts
Like Feanor and Hailiz said, females can drop eggs without a male. My female has dropped eggs 3 times, and has never been with a male.

Another option could be that she dropped eggs, they got sucked up into the filter and sat there for a long time causing the gel? My girl's eggs were sucked up into the filter and stuck in the filter floss/media like yours, but I found them early and didn't see any gel around them.

Oh, and can you post a picture of your fish?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have a picture of your betta I can identify if it is a male or female for you.
I think I see on its belly where the “egg spot” is. I got it as a baby so I’m assuming it was misgendered. If so say hello to lady Gregory 😂

·
Registered
Akila and Atticus <3
571 Posts
She's a beautiful girl :p😂

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sorry for only referring to the fact that he‘s a she:
Of course it‘ll be fine and necessary to remove the eggs as they contain lots of protein (not used by any other critters in your tank).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts