Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this tank cycling for weeks before I brought my new betta home, and everything was fine; now, about a week after getting him, the plants are covered in some bizarre white fluff I've never seen in the years I've being keeping betta and other aquatic creatures. I haven't the foggiest what it is, but it's making me monumentally paranoid as the water's now turned a sickly yellow-orange and, though my betta seems not to mind at all, I don't want to risk his health.
Searches on google have mentioned fungus, but as my fish is the only living thing in the tank and he eats everything I give him, I doubt that's the case. Aidez-moi!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Oh, that sounds similar to a situation I recently had. My tank grew a "mat of hair" on everything! Looked like this:

Tank was still cycling. People said it was bacterial bloom and would subside in a few days along with the murky water. Might be different for your case, but mine did disappear in a few days leaving residue- nothing a little scrubbing couldn't get off.(Just siphon the chunks of particles out afterwards!)

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Light green , fine and stringy is hair algae. Wipe it off and reduce your lighting.

White fluffy, sounds like Saprolegnia mold, especially if your tank is cycling or just finished, a nuisance but not dangerous. Keep wiping it off until it gives up and goes away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts