Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have a year old blue/yellow bicolor or "mustard gas" that has had a small growth on his scales for quite a while.

The growth started about 2 months ago from a small bump to a white bulge/growth. The betta has been moved from a tank or two.. No known water issues at any of those times..

So I'm thinking it is either a bacterial growth or fungal growth but I don't know which.. I haven't tried treating him with any off the shelf medicine. Just trying to keep good water parameters and a good diet of live blackworms and spectrum pellet food.

Here are the pics! His name is Colonel Mustard btw :]

Note: pics were cropped so they will appear especially fuzzy. I'll try to get better ones later!

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More photos

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last pic!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Does it looks solid, or fuzzy? I'm gonna bet on either some sorta tumor, or lymphocystis. The first... you can't really do much but hope it doesn't grow too much. For lympho, it's a virus so there's no meds to treat it, but the fish will eventually fight it off.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
it really looks like lymphocystis. =(

here is what it looks like on my boy:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! It does sort of look solid but it's a bubbly white growth.

If it is lymphocytes... Is there any treatment?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It's not Lympho. Generally Lympho looks like small white/pink pimples. It grows ON the scales/skin rather than coming out from underneath. They can pile up to look similar to this but it is not what he has. Just for reference, Lympho is a virus which means there are no medications for it other than vaccines however it's extremely difficult to treat small fish. The fish will generally fight the infection themselves given good, clean water. Lympho is highly contagious so keep your fish and equipment away from all other fish if you can!

What your boy has is a cyst. Again, no real cure for small fish. It may fall off given time, if that is the case then you'll want to pull him and treat him with some Aquarium Salt around 1 or 2 teaspoons per gallon (Dissolve first in a small container!) and treat him for a day or two to keep the wounds sterile. After that he should be fine, they will most likely come back though.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Oh well I was super wrong!! I always thought it'd come up from under the scales.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Nope, that's cysts and then tumors are bulges underneath the scales. Lympho looks like a pink version of ich, generally it forms in lines/rows on fins first and then moves to the body. Also it doesn't stay in one place very long, sometimes it will but sometimes it will also move around on the body; Ich generally doesn't. They can form on top of each other though this usually happens INSIDE the body rather than on the outside, that is where the name Cauliflower Disease comes from.

Google images and you can see it mostly easily on saltwater fish

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So diagnosis is that my male has cysts that may or may not fall off? It definitely looks like little micro cauliflowers growing from under a patch of scales.. Doesn't seem to inhibit him at all but in worried about it spreading closer to his gill plate and pectoral fins.

With careful attention and precision.. Could it be an option to remove the cyst or at least SOME of it manually with an exacto knife and then afterwards put him in a clean tank with almond leaf and methalyne blue to let it heal a little easier? I've had to do it before with a fish with very bad fin rot and he made a full recovery.. Different case here of course because it's on his body.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Never perform surgery on a fish unless you are a licensed veterinary! Unless you wish to possibly kill your fish, this is a lot different than a fin so I would advise not to do that. It's not inhibiting him as you said so I would just let it be.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know! But sometimes it can be life or death anyway. I suppose I'll let it be. I feel bad for the guy.. I've wanted to pair him up and let him breed with the female mustard gas HM in the tank beside him but I worry about his alement somehow spreading.

Boy do I wish I could just treat him with some natural medicine to help decrease the size of that thing.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I know, it's not really life or death in this situation, they can live a long time with cysts just as human's can. Tumors however, are a different story. He's not contagious but he could pass the traits down to his kids which wouldn't be very fantastic.

But yeah, I know it sucks. One of my boy's also has some cysts growing along with pigmentation buildup since he's thick scaled as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Poor guy.. He has great genes in him as far as color and form go.. But I think I'm too worried that if I breed him the fry will suffer from it as well. Maybe I'll give it a shot one day if I can't help myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts