Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, this is a continuation from a thread I posted a couple weeks ago: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=554362. I have already attempted AQ salt treatment (8 days).

A white patch appeared on my betta Arty. After many days, the scales could begin to be seen through the white spot again, but remained colorless. Since then, a lump has been growing from the white patch (see pictures). Arty has also become lethargic and mostly sits around all day, but he is still eager to eat.

I'm not sure what to treat with, if I should at all. Please help! I am starting to get nervous. :|

EDIT: NEW SYMPTOMS:
-Similar patch on same place on opposite side (not coincidental)
-I shined a light through the patch and noticed a non-translucent lump in him.
-After I put him back into his tank from a 100% water change, his swimming is very frantic and he darts all over the place.
-Still eating

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Open top
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x day, 3-4 pellets each serving, no food on Sunday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Two times per week: 50% and 100%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just the white patch described
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5-2 years

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
He's still eating so that's good sign. I'd get a filter ASAP to help you keep that water as clean as possible. I'd also add a few drops of BettaFix to his tank water. It'll help soothe his scales and fins.

The pictures aren't clear, so it's hard to take a look at the symptoms. Could be a fungal infection.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He's still eating so that's good sign. I'd get a filter ASAP to help you keep that water as clean as possible. I'd also add a few drops of BettaFix to his tank water. It'll help soothe his scales and fins.

The pictures aren't clear, so it's hard to take a look at the symptoms. Could be a fungal infection.
Thanks for the post. I've heard a lot of bad things about Bettafix and Melafix. Are they really worth using? If so, exactly how many drops would you recommend?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would definitely say negative on fuzziness from what I can see. I am going to begin another 50% daily water change + 1 tsp. AQ salt regimen and may include Melafix depending on what you guys think.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
What a gorgeous betta! He is stunning. From the photos, ir looks to me like it might very well be a cyst, or possibly a tumor. Can you get clearer, closer photos?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a gorgeous betta! He is stunning. From the photos, ir looks to me like it might very well be a cyst, or possibly a tumor. Can you get clearer, closer photos?
Thank you! :-D Unfortunately, I am fairly incompetent with a camera; I've tried countless times to get a sharper picture. Do these help at all?
Like I said, it appears smooth, not fuzzy.

Attachments

699 Posts
I've heard a lot of different stuff concerning Bettafix. Some people say it works really well, some people say it's a betta-killer. I, personally, don't think I'll ever use it unless everything else has failed. Not that I don't believe those who say it works, just because anything with so much online controversy is too risky for my little guys.

Daily 100% water changes and AQ salt is a good general strategy until you're sure what he has. I've also heard that API Stress Coat is a good product, especially for external issues, but I have no experience to back this up. I hope he recovers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard a lot of different stuff concerning Bettafix. Some people say it works really well, some people say it's a betta-killer. I, personally, don't think I'll ever use it unless everything else has failed. Not that I don't believe those who say it works, just because anything with so much online controversy is too risky for my little guys.

Daily 100% water changes and AQ salt is a good general strategy until you're sure what he has. I've also heard that API Stress Coat is a good product, especially for external issues, but I have no experience to back this up. I hope he recovers.
Thanks for the advice. :) I have some API Stress Coat on hand actually and was already considering using it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: A smaller white patch is appearing on his other side, in the same place (not coincidental). I shined a light through him today, and the patch was non-translucent. (Should I try Epsom salt treatment?) However, he also made a bubble nest today and he still is very eager to eat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts