Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! It’s me again. My fishy buddy has been doing well, but lately I noticed he wasn’t eating or swimming around as much as usual. I turned up his lights this morning to get a better look at him, and he has what appears to be a white patch on his side. He’s a black mustard so that’s not normal.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? Yes, a tetra whisper. it’s for 5-10 gallon tanks and I recently added it about 2 weeks ago. It’s much stronger than his last filter, maybe it’s stressing him out?
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? It has several live plants
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? He has a golden mystery snail friend.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I used to feed him twice a day but now he only eats once a day, he had stopped eating his second helping.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once every 2 weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Just tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? I use API stress coat +, API quick start, and API stress zyme. I also used Seachem Stress Guard when his fins were healing from his bites.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

I have the strip tests but I am going to purchase a better testing kit today after work for actual readings. The strips indicate my water quality is good though. It is worth noting I have had a bit of trouble with Cyanobacteria the past month or so.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? This morning
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Slight white patch on his side
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Has been less active
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Not yet
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No, he’s generally been quite healthy.
How long have you owned your Betta? Since April of this year.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? He was very thin and malnourished, with chunks bitten out of his tail, but after I nursed him to a healthy weight he has been fine.

Purple Plant Petal Fin Terrestrial plant

Plant Vertebrate Light Purple Organism

Light Purple Organism Feather Underwater

Plant Light Purple Lighting Pet supply

You can see the white patch there on his left side, near the top of his head. He’s always been a very shy fish so getting pictures of him is difficult, I hope these are okay. I’ll try to take more when I get home. I normally do not leave these bright lights on, I only turned them on to look at him and take pictures.

I will have water test readings this afternoon, but if anyone knows what this white patch is I would be super grateful. I don’t think it’s ick? I haven’t added any new decorations or plants to his tank since I got him. I did a clean of his tank’s decor about a month ago, and took everything out and scrubbed it down with hot water to clear up some of the Cyanobacteria. But it didn’t seem to help much.

·
Super Moderator
705 Posts
Hi!
It‘s hard for me to see in the reddish light but it could be a scratch. If I interpret the pictures correctly it seems that scales are missing, right?

Is there anything in the tank you could think of causing it?

Reactions: BettaloverSara

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi!
It‘s hard for me to see in the reddish light but it could be a scratch. If I interpret the pictures correctly it seems that scales are missing, right?

Is there anything in the tank you could think of causing it?
Oh no ! Now that you mention it, it did look a bit like a wound as opposed to something growing on him? Cuz it wasn’t protruding.

The only thing I can think of is the new filter I put in? I haven’t added any new decor. The new filter is a fair bit stronger than his old filter, maybe he got pulled into the side of it and hurt himself? :c

1 - 4 of 4 Posts