Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Last night I noticed a small white patch on Arty's left side, above his ventral fin (which unfortunately suffered a recent tear :-(). I performed a 100% water change this morning. He is still very eager to eat and doesn't appear to be behaving differently. The patch appears to be a discoloration over a small amount of scales, with part of it forming a slight lump. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going on? I've posted the sticky questions as well as several photos below.

I was also wondering about color fading on bettas. I got Arty almost a year and a half ago from Petco. (I'm not sure how old he was then.) When I got him he had a very vibrant blue color, but over time it's gradually faded. Is this just from growing older?

Any help is appreciate, thanks!

--

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Open top
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x day, 3-4 pellets each serving, no food on Sunday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Two times per week: 50% and 100%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just the white patch described
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5-2 years

Attachments

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The picture is low quality, but does it look fuzzy in person?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
A cottoney/fuzzy looking thing on a betta usually indicates columnaris. Can you give me your clearest description possible of what it looks like?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A cottoney/fuzzy looking thing on a betta usually indicates columnaris. Can you give me your clearest description possible of what it looks like?
I am away from home, but will get back to you later. I'll have my girlfriend try to get a clearer picture. (I don't really have any idea what I'm doing with a camera, tbh.) Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately we weren't able to get a clearer picture. It definitely does not appear to be fuzzy at this point. It looks like a thin white layer across the scales, with a small bulbous protrusion at one part (lower left).

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
That's very weird. I would start with using 1 tsp/gal of AQ salt, no more than 10 days of use, and 50% daily water changes, tell me if anything changes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's very weird. I would start with using 1 tsp/gal of AQ salt, no more than 10 days of use, and 50% daily water changes, tell me if anything changes.
Hm, thanks for the information. I will begin treating tomorrow.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick question, is the purpose of aquarium salt just to get rid of possible pathogens?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
AQ salt is used for external purpose.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: I've been doing 50% water changes with aquarium salt for the past five days. The patch has not appeared to change, nor has Arty's behavior.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: It's been eight days of aquarium salt treatment. It looks like a little color is coming back to the patch; there is a slight blue tinge to it, the color of his scales (no other changes). I am going to stop treatment and see if he makes any more progress with R&R.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts