Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I recently got my first beta named Emerald Herald! I've been doing lots of research (including on this forum) to make sure I give him optimal conditions. However, he seems to have developed (I believe these were there when I got him, but they look worse now) some weird white patches/discoloration of his scales along his body. He eats normally, swims normally, very active, loves watching me in my room. His water is 75-80 degrees F and there is a filter. I use water conditioner with tap water and just changed 1/3 of the water (I feared maybe ammonia levels were too high since the tank has not yet cycled). I have only had him in this tank for about a week, and I worry that he might have some disease, yet all of the symptoms I look up just do not match my fish. I'm hoping someone can come up with an answer, as I am new to this and want him to be happy and healthy! He means a lot to me!
Here are some pics:
12499023_1258694870822970_1172077638_o.jpg

12511352_1258694890822968_2067846408_o.jpg

The darker one concerns me more, it is on the side where the patch is bigger (although it is harder to see because his fin kinda blocks it). The discoloration has been there awhile and he shows no signs of scratching/bloating/etc, but the side on the darker picture does appear to have a small bump.

Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has a 1.5gal and I plan to upgrade eventually, but at the moment I will need a bigger set up (I am working out of a dorm! and carrying the thing is a struggle all on its own, I feel a bit bad as I know some people recommend a 2-5 gallon tank)
He does have a heater, it keeps the water at a stable 80 usually (sometimes it is 75 when I change the water, I try to do it slowly and let the new water heat up a little so there isn't a spike in water temp).

Thank you! I will take a reading on the tutorial and see if there is anything else I should do. He very well may be marble, though I was unfamiliar with it at first I was looking at some other pictures of beta and they appear to have similar coloration (while healthy).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, another question. My water conditioner says it neutralizes ammonia, so should I use it if my ammonia levels are high? Is too much conditioner bad? I put in only the recommended amount. I figure that adding the new conditioned water to the old water would be enough, but I don't want to assume. I will order some of those testing kits just to be safe!

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,451 Posts
Using water changes to lower Ammonia is the best way. Water changes also remove the gunk (feces and excess food) which causes the Ammonia.

In a filtered 1.5 you only need to do two 25% water changes per week gravel vac. No need to do 100% which are stressful to Betta and not recommended.

On another note: There's noting intrinsically wrong with a 1.5 as long as it is maintained. Size of tank is mostly preference. Since you have a filter and heater if you decide to upgrade I can suggest this 2.5 from PetSmart. If you don't have a PetSmart close they are featuring 99-cent shipping on all orders until Sunday.

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquari..._id=36-16838&_t=pfm=category&pfmvalue=faceted

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much! I will do as instructed. You set my mind at ease, thank you again for helping me! Emerald is currently watching me as I type this now. And I will look into the tank!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts