Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought my betta was getting swim bladder on Wednesday night this week. Started a 4 day fast. Came home tonight and saw that there was long white poop coming out of him (see photo) - what is it? Do I continue to fast him? Should I try doing the frozen pea thing? Is it parasites?

Tank Details:
Size: 5 gallon tank
Heater is set to 83
Water temp is around 80
Yes, I have a filter
Normally he eats the Omega One better buffet pellets
on thursday night, I put 1.5 tbs of aquarium salt in the tank thinking that would help.

He hasn't eaten since Tuesday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Does he have anything else other than the pellets? If not I would say parasites are likely the problem. Don't do the pea thing. Try a wormer/anti-internal parasite medication. Is he also bloated, as you said you were worred about SBD and using the pea thing (not good for them imho. They aren't herbivourous).

What are the first few ingredients of the pellets he has?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fed him some Hikari Daphnia on Sunday for the first time ever...He doesn't seem bloated...I thought it was SBD because when stationary at the top of the tank, he ends up "resting" sideways and when trying to swim towards the bottom of the tank, he struggling and pops back up like a cork in the water.

He is doing better this morning...floating diagonally now, not sideways.

Omega ingredients: White Salmon, Halibut and Shrimp

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
At least its all fish in the pellets main ingredients, thats a good start. No bloating is a good sign, and I as I exclusively feed live/frozen foods, i notice this colour occassionally (Cannot remember if it was daphs or tubifex that did it... or both...) keep an eye on him, if the poop goes back to brown in the next 2-3 passings, its probably the daphnia. :) There is not a lot of information easily available about what live/frozen foods do. I panicked when all mine pooped white. XD

That said if you are worried, an occassional dose of wormer won't hurt. I worm whenever new fish are introduced (About 2-3 weeks after they are into the main tank), just incase XD

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Its okay. As for the swiiming, it could be he was a little constipated (Pellets *can* do that, same as freezedried foods) but the daphnia will help clear them through. :)

I always feed daphs before a fast day. :D Keep an eye just incase but it should all be well. ^-^

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Mine get it 1-2 times one week and once the second, but I don't feed pellets at all and its a hugely mixed diet.... once a week should be fine, or if he ever looks bloated. Any bloat in ine gets a daphnia meal (small) and then left for a day or so for the bloat to subside :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts