Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
I've had my betta for close to a year now. He's a feisty guy, lives in a 10-gallon tank, 3/4 quarter full, with filter and water heater. the water is maintained at approx. 83F.
Lately I've noticed a white slimy film that forms at the surface. I take it off every few days, but it seems to return. At the same time, I just noticed a strong sulphuric smell in the bottle of aqua-safe plus. I've always used this and never had any issues. I'm not sure if the smell has always been there,and I just didnt notice it before...
My betta doesn't seem to be as feisty as before. I've noticed that his level of activity has decreased significantly. Could all of these things be related? I did a full-water change about 5 weeks ago due to moving..
Thank you

·
Registered
529 Posts
hello,
I've had my betta for close to a year now. He's a feisty guy, lives in a 10-gallon tank, 3/4 quarter full, with filter and water heater. the water is maintained at approx. 83F.
Lately I've noticed a white slimy film that forms at the surface. I take it off every few days, but it seems to return. At the same time, I just noticed a strong sulphuric smell in the bottle of aqua-safe plus. I've always used this and never had any issues. I'm not sure if the smell has always been there,and I just didnt notice it before...
My betta doesn't seem to be as feisty as before. I've noticed that his level of activity has decreased significantly. Could all of these things be related? I did a full-water change about 5 weeks ago due to moving..
Thank you
the white film is due to protein built-up. u may want to add aeration to it. with this film, it will block the air dissolving rate into the water, this cause your betta behaving like now.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Riffling the surface will help aeration and help keep the protein film down. As does cleaning the substrate and filter media. Feeding less with high-quality pellets helps, also.

Aqua-safe, in common with most conditioners, uses sodium thiosulfate to dechlorinate. They all have that sulfur smell, more or less.

83* is a little higher than most of us keep it, but certainly OK.

I think even a cycled 7g tank needs more water changes than every 5 weeks. More like every 2-weeks at least. What are your readings?

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you all for your help, and the different posts with tips.
the numbers right now are: 0 for nitrate,nitrite and chlorine. about 120 for alkalinity and about 7.1 for pH. i brought the water heater down to 81F.
I did change the filter, which i hadn't done in 5 weeks when I moved, and half of the water, plus added one more gallon to make it 8 gallons of water. I used the syphon to clean the gravel. i also changed the stocking i use to soften the current from the filter. the slime hasn't come back, and he does seem to be swimming around more, but acting rather shy, which is not his normal outgoing self. maybe he's on the mend now.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
I see you're using test strips. I think it's important to know ammonia, this being the most dangerous hydrogen compound you're dealing with.

You should be seriously considering cycling the tank. CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial

In the meantime, a daily dose of Prime (2-drops/gal) really helps water quality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts