Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking to see if anyone can help me with this white formation on the side of my Betta. Photos below

How many gallons is your tank? 3.5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no - but I have one live plant (Anubias nana) & Amond leafs
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no solo fish

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon (Betta Food)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? also give him some bloodworms once a week
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2 pellets AM and 2 pellets PM

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Bi Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 25% to 50%
What is the source of your water? tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I use a vacuum siphon
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API Tap Water conditioner & API Stress Coat+

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.0
Hardness (GH): 30
Alkalinity (KH): 40

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Mid-July
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Now fish has the white area on his side ?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Moves around great and no strange behavior
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No - just cleaned the tank/ water change and checked water conditions
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? had this fin rot from stress which the forum helped relieve
How long have you owned your Betta? got him September 2020
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? I really don't recall but

Azure Sleeve Underwater Fin Marine biology

·
Registered
20 Posts
tumor/ Lymphocystis which is a viral infection. keep quarantined to be safe. nothing you can do to treat without an aquatic vet.

·
Premium Member
Lots!
702 Posts
Checking to see if anyone can help me with this white formation on the side of my Betta. Photos below

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no - but I have one live plant (Anubias nana) & Amond leafs

Food:

Maintenance:
Before
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API Tap Water conditioner & API Stress Coat+

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Symptoms and Treatment:
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Now fish has the white area on his side ?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Moves around great and no strange behavior
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No - just cleaned the tank/ water change and checked water conditions
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? had this fin rot from stress which the forum helped relieve
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? I really don't recall but

View attachment 1032468 View attachment 1032468
Poor lil guy. I had a betta with lymphocystitis so I am familiar with the virus. It does look like he may be suffering from the virus in my opinion. I know you mentioned you use IAL. I would make a strong tea out of about 5-6 of them in a large pot with conditioned water. You want it the color of bourbon. Then add a generous amount of the tea to his tank. You want the tank water a dark tan color. This will prevent infection if the tumor bursts plus it will reduce any stress he may have.

In my experience the tumors will grow, burst and usually grow back again but hopefully this is not the case for you. Watch out for infection or fungus if it does burst. The IAL will help prevent this or as I was told, at least help you stay ahead of the game as far as treatment goes. If it does become infected, there are medications you can try.

I know this is off topic, but you could feed him more so he gets more nutrients. I feed 3-4 pellets 3 times a day. Plus frozen daphnia or bloodworms a few times a week. I’m not familiar with the size of the Aqueon pellets but figured I’d touch on this in case anyone else agrees or disagrees.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
Lots!
702 Posts

Food:

Maintenance:
Before

Water Parameters:

Symptoms and Treatment:

View attachment 1032468 View attachment 1032468
I’m sorry I should’ve been more specific on the tea. I mean 5 or 6 large leaves. Also, boil them. I did not mention this. Sorry about that. If they are the real small leaves, you will definitely need more. I store the leftover tea in Mason Jars in the fridge for future use during water changes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m sorry I should’ve been more specific on the tea. I mean 5 or 6 large leaves. Also, boil them. I did not mention this. Sorry about that. If they are the real small leaves, you will definitely need more. I store the leftover tea in Mason Jars in the fridge for future use during water changes.
Thanks for the response and I have done exactly what you suggested and the tank water is now very dark and hopefully makes him more comfortable. Do you suggest adding salt or anything else? Are there any specific treatments for this tumor? or just wait it out?
thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Honestly, there’s no real treatment for tumors on bettas. Like for humans, you usually get it removed. I had a marble betta that had a betta on its side. he lived a year with the tumor growing each day. He ate and swam fine, until the tumor seemed to affect his internals. He slowed down and I know he was going to pass away. It’s sad, but just try and give your betta the best life he can have .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts